Bunion Surgery And Cp - Page 9 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bunion Surgery And Cp

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Hymerkar
    Hymerkar Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Options
    Good luck for 9th June Helen, will keep a look out for the results of the MRI.

Nothing to do with CP, but after recently being discharged from hospital for somthing else, I was told that I would be followed up by the opthalmology department, and the Nurology Outpatients. After hearing nothing, I went to my GP, who immediately got on the phone and after 30 mins of her being passed around the hospital and then told to ring Liverpool, because that is where the Neurologist is based, (I Live in Wales) she was told that I had been discharged with no further appointments necesary. At which stage she blew her top. Because I am on medication which she cant control, it has to be monitored by the hospital. I had two appts within a week and now having regular outpatients appts, so there was no way I should have been discharged. We received a half hearted 'sorry, she has been missed off the list' from one of the appointment clerks.

YOU GOT TO WATCH THEM!!

Karen
  • panther
    panther Community member Posts: 251 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Karen

Haven't had my appointment yet but received two letters in the post today they were general clinical notes which seem to be a new thing the hospital is doing in that they send you a copy of the clinic notes that they send the gp.

One letter said that my MRI was normal and they could see no reason for my pain or symptons. This letter also went on to say that the consultant now suggests a gait analysis and that he will see me in clinic after the gait analysis

The second letter was just a copy of the consultants request to the gait lab for me to have a gait analysis. I don't want a gait analysis so am not really happy. I've spoken to the secretary today and she has advised me to keep the appointment on the 9th June so I can discuss my concerns about the gait analysis. I've also made an appointment to talk to my gp about the letters I've received today and will see what he suggests.

So it looks like I'm just going to have to put up with the pain in my hip and accept that it's part and parcel of the cp or part and parcel of getting older and having cp.

Helen
  • Concernedmom
    Concernedmom Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Helen: I have just read your blog. My daughter is 27, has CP, and is about to have bunion surgery. You have went through so much. I am now scared for her. How are you doing now?
  • Concernedmom
    Concernedmom Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks Helen: I appreciate your honesty. I am glad that you said if you had to do it all over again, you would still have the surgery. Thanks for your blog!
  • panther
    panther Community member Posts: 251 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Concernedmum

I am doing ok I had more surgery in December last year because I had a small piece of bone trying to push through the ball of my foot on both feet. I had the right one operated on in December.

At some point I will need the left one done. But I saw the consultant last week he has said as I am still getting some pain from the right foot they could go back in and have another look. Likewise as the left one is slightly more painful I can think about having that one done as well. But is all a question of what I can cope with. At the moment I can cope so am not going to go down the route of more surgery. I go back to hospital in 6 months if nothing has changed I will be discharged for now but can go back any time I feel I need to.

Don't be too concerned for your daughter with me the bunion surgery started off one complication, when that was corrected the correction caused another. But that doesn't mean the same will happen to your daughter. I am just difficult and if there is going to be complications you can be sure I will have it!!

I have had a good surgeon through out who fully understands cp and have been able to explain all the reasons why the next thing has happened and what the options are. Not sure I would of trusted anyone else to see me through this process.

For me I felt I had to have the bunion surgery as if the alternative was to end up in a wheelchair full time without it because I couldn't put shoes on sounded silly. Funnily enough my partner and I were tslking about this yesterday. Would I of done things differently no I wouldn't it's been a long journey but I don't regret it.

I'm sure there are many other people with cp that have bunion surgery without any problems so don't let what I've been through put you off. I'm sure you have had a consultant explain all the pros and cons of the surgery to you and your daughter.

I hope all goes well for her let me know how she gets on.

Helen

Brightness