Work possibilities? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work possibilities?

JordanRose
JordanRose Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hello there! :)

I was just looking for some advice regarding what careers I could go into. I've just finished my first year at uni, studying 'Language, Literacy and Communication'. Previously, I was adament that I wanted to become a special needs teacher, after volunteering at a special school, however I'm re-considering this, since volunteering in a mainstream school, which I didn't fully enjoy.

I know I want to work with disabled people, ideally with children, as I enjoy working within this field. I've considered my options, and have taken a particular interest in speech and language or occupational therapy, but was wondering if you can recommend any other lines of work, which relate to my degree?

Also, how would I go about getting some work experience with an OT or speech and language therapist? It'd be good to get some experience, just to see what I enjoy the most.

Thank you for reading, hope to hear from you soon!

Best wishes,
Jordan :) x

Comments

• KatieR2
    KatieR2 Community member Posts: 28 Listener
    edited June 2014
    Hi Jordan,

I hope you don't mind me saying this but as you are just starting out can I get a word in early! what do you think about care workers moving about and changing jobs. Because for a client I find there is a consistency problem. Although I wouldn't expect to work with one person for life sometimes people move on and then you get someone completely with a different attitude or maybe no help at all if its been cut. And then all the bond and the warmth and feeling of being helped and supported is gone. And you're left wondering what was all that about.

Maybe there could be a system where people committed to something for a couple of years or something and then when they leave they are to keep in touch with the new person to mentor them about what their clients needed

does that make any sense? thanks Katie

• JordanRose
    Hi Katie,

I know what you mean about the care workers- I bet it's very frustrating if you're the client! I think if I was to go into that field, I would try my absolute best to stay with that person for a long period of time (a few years or so), if I felt as though I was suited to working with that person, anyway. I think it's only fair that there's a mutual likeness in that situation, where both care worker and client are happy and comfortable around one another.

It's not really the same, but I was a learning mentor in my last 2 years of high school and provided one to one support for a girl with severe visual impariment. We both felt a connection, and got mutual enjoyment out of working with eachother, and I think that's how social care should be, too. I felt so bad leaving her, but I had to, as I'd finished school at that point. I go and visit the school as often as I can though, and see how she's getting on, and it's like I never left! :)

What I'm trying to say (in my rather long winded way- sorry about that!), is that yes, I absolutely agree! I feel like I would need to stay in touch, and take some interest, as I played a part in that person's life. It's awful that people lose contact, and are left to feel annoyed, confused and maybe even lose some confidence, as a result of a sudden lack of interest. I hope this becomes emphasised in the future, allowing people to remain in contact.

Oh, by the way- I was thinking of getting a part time job, perhaps as a social carer or support worker (as long as I could fit it in around uni, as I wouldn't want to let people down). Would I need any formal qualifications to do this, or would personal experience be sufficient? If you don't know then don't worry about it, I can try and find out elsewhere.

Good to hear from you, Katie! :) x
  • KatieR2
    edited June 2014
    I don't know but i would imagine that they just train you for those jobs. I'd be surprised if they want alot of quals because its more about being the right sort of personality.

have you thought about being an advocate? something to think about what with all these cuts going on. might be a way to help even more people in a bigger way.

thats great that you stayed in touch with your previous client. I'm sure it means alot to her
  • JordanRose
    edited June 2014
    Yeah, that's what I figured- it's probably more about the personality than anything else.

I'll look into advocacy, it might be a bit more feasible actually, as It's going to get busier at uni, and I need to be able to fit it all in. I suppose something like that will have more flexibility :)

Thank you! x
  • KatieR2
    edited June 2014
    I don't know if you have to do a bit of law to be an advocate. But law can be quite fun. Its probably more flexible because advocates don't 'stay with clients' which means you can move about and then maybe settle down when you get older.

I don't know if they need law they might just train you

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.