Wind advice needed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wind advice needed

imogen37
imogen37 Community member Posts: 61 Listener
edited September 2014 in Children, parents, and families
Hi

Looking for advice for getting rid of trapped wind. Marten is now 19 months, but still needs active winding after every meal, drop of water and even after having an active kick around session. On top of that he is difficult to wind and needs ages. Yet if he does not get winded properly, he is uncomfortable, unsettled and generally not happy and won't sleep.

I am going back to doing regular tummy massage but does anybody have any other ideas how to manage trapped wind? Marten is eating orally and is not on any medication.

Thanks!

Comments

• mollymoobarnes
    mollymoobarnes Community member Posts: 107 Listener
    Hiya

My son Tom had terrible wind until the speech and language therapist suggested that we use a thickener in his drinks to slow the flow down so that we was less likely to gulp air down when drinking. He still gets trapped wind but much much less than he did. We use 'Thick and Easy' but there are others that are just as good.

I also found that the best way to get the wind out was to sit him on my lap, held bolt upright, with my hand high up on his upper chest, hand pointing upwards and my other hand on his back, pointing upwards, and to squeeze and lift him between my hands, not hard but firmly. The most upright you can get him, the better chance the bubbles of air can head straight up and hopefully out! The other thing that sometimes helps is to sit him upright on my lap and to move his body from the waist up round in a little circle - start my leaning him forward and then head clockwise until you are back to the start. You do have my sympathy though - wind is horrible and Tom suffered really badly with it for a long long time.

Maz xx
  • Tripletmom
    Tripletmom Community member Posts: 37 Listener
    Hi,

my son has only just started getting his own wind up, hes 2 12 now but he is a triplet and i got shown in neo natel tilt them on the left hand side and rub their back. Best tip ive ever had

kelly xx
  • imogen37
    Hi

Thanks for replies!

Things have actually become a bit easier since I posted. When he gets fed in his Squggles chair, he would burp by himself from time to time and most of the time I don't have to wind him actively, usually just getting him upright is enough.

It's the frequency of it all which gets to me. he is needing winded 2x during every meal, after eating and drinking, after (and sometimes during) a therapy session, after he has been kicking around, after a bath. Or maybe it's normal for a child with severe CP?

Thanks!
    x
  • imogen37
    Oh, and I meant to say that Marten was on a thickener for reflux. He has been off it for about 4-5 months as he does not have relux any more. He was just as bad for wind when he was on it.

I am now thinking that the wind issue is because of a weak gut so that he is not able to break stuff down properly.

x

Brightness