Hair care — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hair care

laynie
laynie Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi I am new to the forum and hope someone can help, I have a 12yr old daughter with quadriplegic cerebral palsey, she has long hair which is quite thick and recently it has started to matt underneath.
it takes two people each time we attempt to brush her hair, we have considered cutting it but she becomes angry and upset when this is mentioned, because she is unable to control her head ; her heair is always in contact with her chair, I am her fulltime carer and I am at a loss as to what I can do, have I failed her by not being able to manage this I have bought every hair product on the market to no avail

Comments

• kingboy25
    kingboy25 Community member Posts: 57 Listener
    I remember seeing many years ago a teenaged girl who used a head controled powerchair. She had long hair which was cornrowed and tied in two bunches. would your daughter accept something similar?
  • laynie
    laynie Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you for your advice I will give it a try
  • mollymoobarnes
    mollymoobarnes Community member Posts: 107 Listener
    Hiya

I'm sure you've already tried but thought i'd mention that L'Oreal do a kids detangling spray - smells of pear - that I use on my 2 girls. Theey both hate having their hair brushed but since we started using it we've had no more tears. Might help get the taangles out before you consider a more long term strategy for keeping it out of contact with her chair. Might also be wworrthwhile using an overnight leave-in deep conditioner and then combing it through in the morning, just to get back to square one. My friend uses this 'bun gadget' that looks like a sponge doughnut. You put it over a high ponytail and then flap the ponytail over it so that the hair is equal over all sides (like a fountain) and then you stick a hair elastic over the whole thing which then draws the ends of the hair under the sponge doughnut, leaving the most pefect looking bun. That would keep her hair well up and out of the way. Maria xx

Brightness