Dyspraxia — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dyspraxia

luzalu
luzalu Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, my name is lucy and i'm 20yrs old. I've recently been diagnosed with dyspraxia, although i've had it my whole life it hasn't been formally recognised until now. I'm trying to find support groups in east sussex and other similar things that would help me and ways to meet other people who also have dyspraxia. The main problem i'm having is all the support groups are focused around young children and are for parents/carers. I went to one just to see if it would be any use at all but just ended up feeling like a fool and even more disheartened than i had before. If anyone has any information that could help me i'd be very grateful.

Comments

• david464
    david464 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi Lucy, I'm 29 and have just been diagnosed with dyspraxia. Did you ever find out if there were any groups?
  • ScopeHelpline
    ScopeHelpline Community member Posts: 207 Courageous
    Hi

You might want to check out this organisation:
    http://dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/index.php

Best Wishes

Forum Moderator

• luzalu
    Thanks but i've tried them a few times in the last two years they are the child and parent aimed group i tried the dyspraxia foundation as a whole started to try adult things last year but its only slowly filtering through to local areas so most of the country still don't have adult dyspraxia foundation groups
  • luzalu
    like i said in my other comment dyspraxia foundation are only just getting there with adult groups great if you're up north i hear scotland and liverpool have got some but nothing down south as yet. dyspraxia connects is the beginnigs of the adult part. Danda are very good for adult groups but they are for all neuro diverse profiles so there will be people with dyspraxia, ADHD, ADD, autism, aspergers, dyslexia etc so you get a real mixed bag of people there but the groups are very useful and they have lots of them. also for online help to find other people with dyspraxia and hear about anything others may have found www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk is really good. hope this helps
  • Pritt78
    Pritt78 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I am 37 years old and affected by dyspraxia. I understand and appreciate the main issues affecting young people diagnosed with dyspraxia. Through life, I have experienced them, so I know what it feels like. Social exclusion is one of the main issues, as I felt out of place in classes and workplaces. I am slow in the workplace. Employers show a lack of recognition and awareness about the condition. I was either told to leave or transferred to a department that I did not want to work in. I am a post graduate. As a result, I felt socially isolated as people looked down on me. There are other issues like weak co-ordination and lacking confidence. I have struggled academically and in the employment sector. I have been inspired to set up a dyspraxia support group for young people affected by the condition living in Teesside. I would encourage more members to join the group. I make the experience enjoyable through a range of activities for boosting their confidence levels and making them feel good.
    Here is a few key links

* www.dyspraxiasupport.org
    * https://www.facebook.com/dyspraxiasup...

Brightness