NIHR-funded study: please help. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

NIHR-funded study: please help.

nickphysio
nickphysio Community member Posts: 2 Listener
We are asking parents of children with cerebral palsy aged 5 - 16 years old to complete a questionnaire. This questionnaire is a new measure of upper limb function still under development, and is intended to overcome the limitations with current measures. Go to http://www.researchstudy.co.uk/ for details or go directly to http://www.psyc.leeds.ac.uk/q/ChAALM to complete the questionnaire for us. You are not asked for any information that will identify you or your child.

We need at least 150 questionnaires to be completed for different children with cerebral palsy aged 5 - 16 years old, or we cannot carry out the final development of the new measure successfully. The information from the returned questionnaire will undergo a special statistical procedure (called Rasch analysis) which helps us identify which parts of the questionnaire do not meet acceptable scientific standards of measurement, and guides appropriate corrections and development of the new measure.

Thanks very much indeed for any help you can give us.

Best wishes
Nick Preston
NIHR Clinical Doctoral Research Fellow

Comments

• forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    I have just done this, I hope, but got nothing to confirm that my response had been successfully submitted. So no idea if it actually worked or not!

• nickphysio
    nickphysio Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    [quote=forgoodnesssake]I have just done this, I hope, but got nothing to confirm that my response had been successfully submitted. So no idea if it actually worked or not![/quote]

Hi, yes, thanks very much indeed for your help, it is essential for the success of the outcome. I am very grateful. Were you disappointed at the lack of consideration of a communication aid?

The first version of the questionnaire did have an item about communication aids. But the psychometric testing indicated that the items were not working properly, and the only way we could establish a scientifically-sound measuring instrument for the purpose intended was to omit the items. I was particularly disappointed about this too.

Thanks again for your help, it really is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes
    Nick
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Yes i am always disappointed at how ofetn communication aids are left off surveys like this...yet other, less crucial bits of equipment are included. I do not really understand your explanation of why they could not be included...sorry.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.