mechanical lifting devices — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

mechanical lifting devices

Splatthefly
Splatthefly Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello All, my sister in law (Tina) has CP. She needs 24 hour care, cannot speak, feed or really do anything for herself. Fort all that - she always has a smile on her face. Tina is 42 and my mother in law (Christine) is in her late 60's. I want to investigate and see what help is available for them and have no idea where to begin. For instance, Christine has coped on her own with Tina for 42 years. However I would like to investigate 'phasing' in some care, maybe a half day a week. This way if anything happens to Christine and they absolutely need a full time care person - it won't be such a shock. At the moment Christine has to lift Tina into the car (which is provided on the Mobility scheme). However her back won't allow her to do that for too much longer. Where do I look for help for mechanical lifting devices? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Comments

• ScopeHelpline
    ScopeHelpline Community member Posts: 207 Courageous
    Hi

Tina's care requirements need to be assessed by the Adult Care department of her Local Authority. The results of this assessment will form the basis of what care provision might be possible.

Ideally, equipment needs should always be assessed by a qualified OT (Occupation Therapist) to ensure that the correct equipment is selected and can be used safely.

The Forum of Mobility Centres may be able to advise on possible solutions to the difficulty with transferring to and from the car that Tina is experiencing:
    http://www.mobility-centres.org.uk/services/

DLF also have information about equipment:
    http://www.dlf.org.uk/

Christine might like to get in touch with the Scope helpline to get further advice:
    Scope Response
    0808 800 3333 (M-F 9am-5pm)
    response@scope.org.uk

Best Wishes

Forum Moderator
  • Splatthefly
    Splatthefly Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you SO much. I didn't know where to begin. You have been extremely helpful. Thank you!!

Brightness