flying and head control — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

flying and head control

Options
imogen37
imogen37 Community member Posts: 61 Listener
Hi

Not long ago there was a bit of discussion here about flying with a child who can't sit independently. Well, mine doesn't even have head control. My son is now 27 months old, so no sitting on a lap allowed. The crelling harness would solve the body support issue, but not support the head. On top of everything else it looks like I have to fly with Ryanair, which is well known for being mean and miserable. Any ideas what I could use to support his head?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Sinski
    Sinski Community member Posts: 16 Listener
    Options
    Hi there

My son is nearly three and i have flown with him loads on my lap. We just came back from turkey on easyjet. They were a bit difficult about it on the way out but it is down to the discression of the pilot. Just say he is 2 when they ask you as its when they are 3 i think they are a bit funny about it.

My son has severe cp and moderate head control but cannot sit independently. I have found everyone to be super helpful when we fly. You book a seat for him and then when you check in, ask if there is a spare seat available, can they give it you so your son can lie down. If you take a letter from your community nurse explaining his condition, this helps. We flying again in August so just keep going with him on your lap until he doesnt fit you! Then you can look at the travel chair? Monarch supply one.

Good luck

Brightness