How To Help Relive Muscular Pain?! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How To Help Relive Muscular Pain?!

Weebs1986
Weebs1986 Community member Posts: 9 Courageous
edited August 2016 in Cerebral palsy
Hi All,
I'm new to this site so just wanted to ask i walk unaided but my legs have been playing me up as of late and my muscles in my legs have been a lot tighter...do you have suggestions apart from painkillers in how to make them hurt less? Also does anybody ever experience pins and needles in their feet due to CP?
Thank you

Comments

• niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Hi, I'm 26 and have cp that affects my legs most.
    I have found that as I've got older my muscles have got tighter and more achy. In january I got to the point that I felt I could no longer just get on with it, and went to see my GP. He suggested I try a muscle relaxant called Baclofen, I can't begin to tell you what a fantastic change it has made!! I am alot more comfortable, have more energy and it has made doing physio easier and less painful.
    I also use afo splints to help maintain the muscle length and make me more stable on my feet which helps with the tightness and pain in my feet. I also try to stick to a physio regime where I keep my muscles well stretched, I use leg gaiters to help with this, wearing them as much as I can overnight and for a while during the day.

Before I started the Baclofen, I used to have a couple of warm baths a day to help realx my muscles.
    I get pins and needles in my feet, but that has got less now my muscles are more relaxed
    hope this helps
    chris
  • rcwallace22
    rcwallace22 Community member Posts: 19 Listener
    Hi there,

I use baclofen and diazepam if it is really severe.
    I also swim and use heat pads.
    Yes I get pins and needles alot I'm not sure why.

I have set up a website for adults with cp. I'm looking for more members to post quest and stimulate debate
    www.healthunlocked.com/livingpositively

Thanks,

Rachael
  • Weebs1986
    Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply!
    This has been incredibly helpful it's another route to go down if the pain persists!
    I've just got some new piedro boots haven't worn them since i was a kid it's taking me a while to adjust but i'll wait to see if they help before i go to the gp.

Thanks again.

Amy
  • Weebs1986
    Hi Rachel,

Thank you for your reply!
    It's odd about the pins and needles it's always baffled me!
    No probs r.e your website i will check it out now.

Amy
  • niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    hi amy,
    I wear piedro boots when not wearing my splints.
    They are the best footwear I have found to support my feet.
    chris
  • SianFry
    SianFry Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi,

I don't know about pins and needles but I have found that when my leg goes into spasm and/or tight then a TENS machine works wonders. That and a gentle leg rub by my other half at least once a day.
  • Footplant
    Footplant Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hello Weebs1986,

I haven't heard of pins and needles in people with CP before. If it continues I think it could be worth checking with your GP.

All the best.
  • Tom_Dwan
    Tom_Dwan Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I just want to add that I use baclofen and diazepam as well and everything is good so far. You can definitely try these when things get serious.

Brightness