how do you assess and work with children at the more profound end of the scale? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

how do you assess and work with children at the more profound end of the scale?

toast
toast Community member Posts: 46 Listener
edited October 2021 in Sensory impairments

Comments

• toast
    Hi Chris - how do you assess and work with children at the more profound end of the scale? With additional issues like deafness. What assessments do you use etc? I too feel like my daughter has been a little bit left behind in terms of SALT provision. Her statement is v wooly and outdated. Am keen to do all that we can for her. I would love her to be able to use pictures to make choices etc. Any advice much appreciated
  • LondonSpeechTherapy
    LondonSpeechTherapy Community member Posts: 60 Connected
    Dear Toast, Thank you for your question and apologies for the late reply. With children with more profound impairments the key is to ascertain what your daughter does to mean "yes" and "no" - such responses need not be words but can be behaviours such as looking away/pursing her lips/pushing objects away or accepting objects near her. The team working with your daughter will need to record how she responds to different stimuli. When thinking about choice making developmentally you should start with offering her a choice of 2 objects to choose from (look up Objects of Reference); you may at later date move on developmentally to photos; then symbols; then words however this is dependent on her abilities. Also, check out the Routes for Learning assessment. I hope that helps, Chris
  • toast
    this might sound awful but how can you stop SALT work / targets feeling such a chore? Have been doing the same activities for years and tbh I am starting to hate / resent doing it. My daughter has PMLD. Her expressive communication is about the level of a 2 month old baby. Receptive higher but v hard to tell
  • LondonSpeechTherapy
    LondonSpeechTherapy Community member Posts: 60 Connected
    Dear Toast, The biggest 'trick' to working on communication is to think of all the times you communicate in a day and to think of opportunities where you can slot small snapshots of 'work' into your daughter's day. Remember: working on communication occursnthroughout the day and you are probably not even aware you are doing it! When you copy her sounds and movement; give her eye contact; do 90% of an activity and let her do the final 10% she can do (such as tying shoes laces for her etc); offer her choices of what to drink/eat/wear/watch; comment on her environment and what she is doing etc etc - you are constantly working on her communication and interaction skills :) SLT should never solely be about sitting at a table or in a boring room it should be about having fun and enriching the quality of your child's life :)

Brightness