Headbanging — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Headbanging

Rozza1981
Rozza1981 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi
Can anyone give me some suggestions for a parent whose 2 year old autistic son is head banging from side to side in his buggy when he's having "a moment"? She has a Mammas & Pappas buggy and is thinking of padding it - what can she use? Some suggestions about how to calm him down when they're out and about would also be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Heather
    Heather Community member Posts: 168 Connected
    Hi. Mine use to head bang, roads, walls, tables you name it. I understand it was more about getting a sentation than having a tantrum. He did grow out of it, but sustained many injuries. In the car, buggy we tried using the neck pillows for airplanes etc, but he would bite them. Padding where ever possible was our only solution, using pillows in the car. Good luck. Hopefully it's just a phase. H
  • Rozza1981
    Thanks Heather. I've passed this on to the parent.
  • MelS
    MelS Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Had a similar problem with my son when he was a baby. What I did was at his level say no finish, and cup the back of his head so he couldn't bang it did take a while but while out all I did was put my hand on the back of his head and said no gently but firm so he knew. I hope this helps best wishes xx
  • Rozza1981
    Thanks for taking the time to post that Mel - good parenting is always so powerful

Brightness