Double Buggy — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Double Buggy

LizH78
LizH78 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, can anyone help? I'm struggling to find a double buggy to suit my 6 year old daughter and 8 month old son. My daughter has Down syndrome and has also had surgery for a dislocated hip, leaving her with one leg shorter than the other. She's very unsteady on her legs and tires easily. I need a double buggy for when I'm alone with both kids but she's too big for all the buggies we've seen on the high street. Any tips or advice would be very gratefully received, thank you!

Comments

• Natasha Brown
    Natasha Brown Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
    speak to wheelchair services and get input from your OT and physio as to what would work for both children.

look at Sn threeweelers

look at eg http://www.twinsuk.co.uk/categories/6/146/Twin-Triple-Double-Prams-Buggies/Special-Needs-Pushchairs/

some pricey but you could ask wheelchair services to help fund with voucher or charities like bdf newlife or cerebra or local charities who always have money to fund stuff like this eg lions/rotary club etc.
  • Natasha Brown
    Natasha Brown Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
    this looks good for your purpose
    http://twinsuk.co.uk/products/100764/Special-Needs-Pushchairs---Siblings-Superior/

Special Needs Pushchairs - Siblings Superior

The Mountain Buggy Terrain Double Special Needs Buggy is a unique twin pushchair with a variety of options for disabled children and developed by TwinsUK. Ideal for twins, a new baby/toddler and older children with special needs - finally a double buggy that gives you the freedom to go anywhere!

This is the ONLY twin buggy in the world that is designed to accomodate one or two disabled children and is suitable for children with walking difficulties and certain special needs.

The Siblings Superior Package is designed for one special needs child (3-8yrs) and sibling (0-4yrs) includes 1 x Standard Zip Seat, 1 x Large Hammock with Extended Footplate B, Double Sunhood and Standard Raincover.

or the maclaren major double
    Maclaren Twin Major Special Needs Pushchair

The Twin Major Special Needs Pushchair is custom-designed for two children, where either one or both have a mobility disability or special needs. Registered with with MHRA as a Class I Medical Device, the twin buggy can be used to transport children from around 2 years old to approx 8 years old.

Suitable for families where one older child has special needs but they also need to transport a younger sibling. Mainsteam and special schools as well as other carers and organisations have also found this twin stroller useful where they need to accomodate a range of ages and disabilities.

A strong, lighweight umbrella-folding twin stroller which has been tested to 25kg in each seat, this is recommended for children up to the age of 8 years. The double buggy is easily folded, transported and stored and comes complete with five point harnesses, swivel wheels and two adjustable solid footrests (these cannot be fitted at the same height but both can be fitted at one of three different levels).
  • LizH78
    LizH78 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks so much for that! It looks fab and your advice about funding is great too. I really appreciate it x

Brightness