Weighted jackets — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Weighted jackets

Alicia
Alicia Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I know a parent who is looking for a weighted jacket for their 15 year old daughter with autism. Can you give me some ideas of where to look for them.

Many thanks

Comments

• GinaS
    GinaS Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    edited June 2014
    I'd ask advice from local Community team or school Occupational Therapist. OTs will know where to look for them, and will also be able to provide particular advice on how to use it (which is really important!). I know someone who purchased from this website:

http://www.sensorydirect.com/products/adult-weighted-jacket-_-shoulder-weight.asp

• BusyOT
    BusyOT Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Hi Alicia
    A cheap way of doing it (and a good way to find out if weight will really work for the person) is to weight the jacket yourself. Jackets with lots of pockets (think outdoorsy) are really easy to weight with beanbags, water bottles, I even know one person with a bag of marbles in every pocket which they also use as a fiddle distraction. Leather biker jackets provide their own weight. Depending on the persons sensory preferences it might actually be tightness that works better than weight (a jacket that is a size too small will be tight all over). I also know someone who loves their huge puffer jacket (filled with feathers, therefore very light but provides a "barrier" to the "outside" world).
    I would tend to look at what their sensory clothing preferences are when they are indoors and seek inspiration from that.
    Let us know if you find a solution or want some further advice.

Brightness