Robust electronics — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Robust electronics

Alistair
Alistair Community member Posts: 102 Listener
Has anybody got a suggestion for a robust MP3 player? My daughter will be 14 in about 10 days and it seems like the most age appropriate present. She has,however, managed to break 2 others that have been given to her. First an Ipod nano and then a little Sony one. Ideally it would have a screen so that we could have pictures to show what music she was choosing (she can't read).
She has a tendency to throw things when she gets frustrated. I've read some of the comments out there about the benefits of Ipads etc. and would love to get her one but I just don't think it would cope with her rough handling. How can you make electronic products indestructible? !

Comments

• Natasha Brown
    Natasha Brown Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
    edited June 2014
    http://www.gumdropcases.com/

and

http://www.griffintechnology.com/armored

seem to be the best.

the imaingo for ipod has built in speaker
    look on the therapybox website under accessories

http://www.therapy-box.co.uk/imaingo_x.aspx
  • Natasha Brown
    an ipod with a griffin or gumdrop case will work
  • Natasha Brown
    look on amazon for eg
    Griffin Survivor Case for iPod Touch 4th Gen - Extreme Duty Case by GriffinTechnology

or Gumdrop Cases for iPod Touch

on the ipad both gumdrop and griffin are great for knocks and drops. the griffin stands up better in terms of protection from drool
  • Alistair
    Thanks natashailg, I'll take a look at your suggestions and let you know how I get on (I've a limited budget)
  • Heather
    Heather Community member Posts: 168 Connected
    Hi Alistair. Just to say, there are alot of grant helping people out there to help fund such items. We secured a grant for our son's Ipad and Griffin case. Admitted the screen got smashed within 3 weeks and the case has lumps chewed out of it after 6 months....but compared to his usual destruction...we're doing well! LOL
  • Alistair
    That's made me laugh, for sure!
    Thank you Heather.
    I've looked at some of the stuff you've suggested natash. but it's out of my price range so I may just have to go for something cheap and wrap it an old tyre or something! In fact I need everything protected at the moment.
    I've just started on a course for parents who have..er.. challenging children called 'Who's in charge'. Hey, but guess what, I'm the only man and I'm finding it a bit of a challenge myself.
    Where do i start looking for grant givers Heather?
  • Natasha Brown
    False economy not to get a case.
    New life foundation.
    Cerebra.
    Family fund if on low income.

Local charities like rotary club lions etc

• Heather
    The only man eh???? If only it were for pleasure! I would think you're struggling ith alot of female hormones with your daughter at the moment. My teenager gave me hell from age 12>14 yrs and she's "normal"...I think! LOL.
    Cerebra and Family Fund are both very good. Caudwell is a big one also. But this website has quite a few under one roof:- http://www.disability-grants.org/ Good luck.
  • toast
    toast Community member Posts: 46 Listener
  • Alistair
    Ha, Ha Heather. yes, indeed, if it were for pleasure I'd be sooo HAPPY! And funnily enough I had to leave early this week when we were talking about the 'causes'. I left saying: 'Adolescence and hormones'. I didn't have the guts to discuss all of that with a room full of females. Maybe next week!
    Thanks to you all for your suggestions, I'll follow them up. In the meantime have any of you heard of the Archos childpad internet tablet and have any views on it?
  • Natasha Brown
    i think the range of useful apps will be bigger on an ipad. but depends what your daughter likes and what would she use it for? also as a teenager an ipad is going to be more "age appropriate2

• Alistair
    I just can't afford an ipad (wish I had one for myself!). I will look into grants but I hate to ask for charity and her birthday is in 9 days.
    I went to Toysrus (grr I hate that name and don't much like the shop), saw some examples but still don't feel much wiser and I think you're right buying one without the full protective cover would be a false economy.
    think I maybe able to go to about £150 all in as my mum says she'll contribute.
    There is a kindle one that looks good but can I get a Griffin super duper tough case that will fit it?
  • Alistair
    Oh...not available until October 25th. Back to the...er...laptop!
  • Heather
    Hi Again. Have you considered second hand? Cex are pretty reliable and give you guarantees, have you one near you? I buy some of my son's wii games there as he chews them and I object to £30 for a game.You shouldn't feel bad about "charity" the money is there to help, you didn't ask to have extra stresses in your life.
  • Heather
    Oh and as for the hormonial aspect of your course....how about a video link to save your blushes? Poor you, women's hormones are even a mystery to us so you haven't a chance! LOL
  • Alistair
    I'd never used forums before being recommended this web site (bit of a dinosaur?) but I now consider you guys as friends and find you all a great support.
    Thanks, Heather, I've not heard of Cex but will Google and find out if we have one near.
    I'm thinking of going back to basics with regards to the MP3 and just buying the cheapest and trying to explain that if she keeps throwing it about she won't have one. Of course I'll give in a few months hence and get her another.
    Maybe save up for the Tablet for a (AHH I hate saying this) Christmas present. I better explain..she sings Christmas songs all year round!
    Also Heather, I'm fine around women really. I have three elder sisters and have mostly worked in environments where women predominate.
    Peace, Love and tolerance are my mantras.
  • Heather
    Hi Alistair
    Itching to know how the birthday present went down? Still in one piece? Hope all well. x
  • Alistair
    Hi Heather, in the end I was persuaded by my step son to spend more than I thought and bought a 'Sansa fuze'. He bought a silicone case for it. This morning I couldn't get it to switch on so she couldn't take it on the bus to school. However after being charged up it, thankful, works OK ,for now!
  • Hearts&Minds
    Hearts&Minds Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    You can also get an iPad from Hearts and Minds, an autism charity based in Manchester through their mobile phone recycling scheme. Basically you register on the website and collect 165 old mobile phones to get an iPad. Hope this helps: there's lots more information on this website, and also on the HeartsAndMindsUK Facebook page http://www.heartsandmindsphones.co.uk/how-to-register/

Brightness