CP in adulthood — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

CP in adulthood

Diiii
Diiii Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited July 2014 in Cerebral palsy
Hi I have a niece with CP, she is 28 years old. My niece has held down a job for several years but due to the condition she has left the job.

The question now is how does she go about finding another job, who would be able to help her with this? Her parents are at their wits end they didn't realise how bad things are with her, until she has spent a lot of time at home.

The young lady in question is such a lovely girl, but she needs help where do we start? I must add that she did have help in School and was on a statement for special needs.

Thank you for any help you can give on this

Comments

• Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    Access to Work are really great at helping with grants for equipment required, personal assistant, travel. Anything really that a person with a disability needs to enable them to work. There is so much out there that can help, maybe she has considered setting up her own business, i'm sure she has alot to offer.

What type of work did she used to do?
  • Diiii
    Thank you for your reply I will talk with the parents of my niece at the weekend.
  • ScopeHelpline
    ScopeHelpline Community member Posts: 207 Courageous
    Hello
    Access to Work are very useful when you have an interview or job to go to, but initially we would recommend that your niece contact a Disability Employment Adviser (DEA) at her local Jobcentre. The DEA can help her to find employment or gain new skills and advise on disability friendly employers in her area.
    https://www.gov.uk/looking-for-work-if-disabled/looking-for-a-job

Scope does have Regional Workers in most areas who can provide additional support to people with CP. If you would like to know more about this service please do contact the helpline directly on 0808 800 3333 or helpline@scope.org.uk

Kind regards, Scope Helpline
  • Diiii
    This is such a great help, I didn't really know where to start, you have given me a starting point. I have passed the information on to the parents of my Niece and I am confident we can go on from here. Thank you so much for you advise, I shall let you know when we get sorted out, and then maybe the discussion will help someone else. Thanks again.

Brightness