One to one care in school — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

One to one care in school

lesley101180
lesley101180 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited September 2014 in Children, parents, and families
My son is 6 has cerebral palsy and epilepsy. At school (mainstream) he requires a one to one. There advising me they don't have the staff to give him a full time member off staff therefore he has three part time workers over the day. I can not help but think this is just not right too much messing and lack of continuing care ???? What's your thoughts am I over reacting ???

Comments

• Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    edited July 2014
    Three different people in a day seems like a lot. I think quite a few schools use more than one person, e.g. one in the morning and one in the afternoon. This can be good, as there is a backup if one worker is off sick for example. But three does seem a lot, are they looking at two people in class and someone else at lunchtime (as lunchtime might be a different job which may explain a bit)

Maybe you could ask school if there are plans in place for the different workers to 'handover' to each other? if they will all have the same training? And if/which of the workers will be his key worker?

I've just noticed there are quite a few parents chatting on the education board, I will check if they have seen your post as they may have some ideas :)
  • Sneezy
    Sneezy Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    Lesley, 3 SLA`s might sound a lot but realistically that might work out pretty well. Your son won't become reliant upon one person for assistance and as Kathy said, its cover incase someone is sick or if redundancies hit your region's education department (they are reducing SLA`s at my son's school). I think you would really need to see how your son feels about it - a 6 year old May adore having 3 ladies fuss over him each day.....(Wouldn't any male?!)

Brightness