Back pain in adults with CP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Back pain in adults with CP

niceboots
niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
edited August 2016 in Cerebral palsy
Over the past couple of years I've been getting regular back pain, that has steadily got worse/more regular over the past year.
When I had a course of Physio earlier in the year, the physio didn't seem to know much about back pain as she was a nuero physio.... she put it down to the way I stand and tightness around my hips and pelvis, particularly in my hip flexors and said stretching them should help my back. I can see that my hips don't help the situation, but I'm still not convinced.... I get back pain when I sit for long periods and this is really beginning to concern me as I'm used to pain in my legs that eases with rest (sitting down!) but this is a whole other ball game.... my shoulders also curve forward quite a bit.... I'm worried about curvature of the spine etc...
Does anyone else suffer with similar symptoms?? and what have you done about them??

Comments

• milo
    milo Community member Posts: 129 Pioneering
    I have the same problem but in my case it's worse standing. My physio has tries to correct my posture with limited success and the consultant has prescribed Me nerve blocking drugs which do help. I already have a curve and a twist in my back so I guess damage is already done.
  • niceboots
    mine is pretty bad when standing still, also when bending and lifting - my physio told me not to lift anything heavy.
    My physio gave me tips on how to correct my standing posture but due to the difficulty I have in stretching my hip flexors, have also had limited success. In fact it makes the pain worse.
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    Maybe a osteopath can help you?

About 9 years ago I started to using two walking poles for getting about, I have found them to be so helpful, in fact I could not survive without them now. They force me to stand upright, while taking some of the load off my body. I'm convinced they have been an enormous help in improving my posture and resulting in reducing back pain and strain.

Hope you can find something that works for you - Keep us posted.
  • niceboots
    I just thought I'd give an update.... I have started use a walking pole when I'm walking long distances, that has eased some of my pain, and today I had my first go in a friends hot tub, that has really made me feel more relaxed and comfortable - and they said I can come round and use it any time I'm really achy!!
  • Noah
    Sorry for not replying sooner. Really pleased you have found something that is working for you. Hot tub sounds good :-) Is it just 1 walking pole you are using? I personally find two more helpful as it keeps you more evenly distributed...... I use a ruck sack or light shoulder bag if I need to carry something. Keep us posted on your progress, always interested to hear your your experiences.
  • niceboots
    I only use one walking pole, as I feel I need to keep one hand free.
    I use a rucksack all the time, it's really handy when I need to carry anything, and it means I always have a spare pair of insoles if my afos get uncomfortable, and somewhere to put my blue badge and all the other stuff I need to carry!
  • Noah
    Sounds like you have a good system that works well for you, thank you for sharing :-)

Brightness