Daughter struggles with sleeping — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Daughter struggles with sleeping

Eeyore0162
Eeyore0162 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
This discussion was created from comments split from: Ask a Sleep Practitioner.

Comments

• Eeyore0162
    Eeyore0162 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi, I'm hoping you can help me with some advice. My 14 year old daughter struggles with sleeping, she always has. From a baby she only seemed to power nap, she didn't sleep a full night until she was 4 and has always been awake until the early hours.
    In the past we tried aromatherapy, massage, music, we had wind down routines and steady bed times, we tried reading stories, encouraging her to read, warm milky drinks, yoga I can't even remember what else! We have tried all of these over long periods of time but, tbh, in the last couple of years I left her to it. The trouble is, she struggles with mornings, her mood is dreadful, she is lethargic and confrontational. I'm sure sleep deprivation is a contributing factor.
    Can you suggest anything that may help?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  • SleepPractitioners
    SleepPractitioners Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
    Hi @Eeyore0162
    You need to set your daughters body clock, do you wake her at the same time every morning? if not could you start waking her at the same time every morning...sorry but that's 7 days a week!
    For her age if you are getting her up at 7am her time for sleep would be around 10pm, so you would start the wind down time at 9pm, turning off all TV's and computers, reading or some fine motor activities will help with relaxation and the production of melatonin.
    Good luck
    Max x

Brightness