Experienced at falling over?! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Experienced at falling over?!

Noah
Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
edited November 2014 in Cerebral palsy
Just had a nasty fall in the street.....i'm fine....quite experienced at falling over these days!! Could have been a lot worse, as went diving towards a brick wall, the people that saw it happen thought I had banged my head on the wall......but got away just a small cut to the hand and right ear. The most annoying part was smashing my screen on my Nexus 5 and some old chap shouting over...."Are you drunk?!" To which I replied quite bluntly, "NO" Not first time, people that have seen me fall over and have thought I was drunk!

Comments

• milo
    milo Community member Posts: 129 Pioneering
    Can sympathise as I have done exactly the same on numerous occasions over the years. Having said that, I found myself doing something similar recently in my wheelchair when I free wheeled down a hill only to hit the bus shelter at the bottom much to my embarrassment but the amusement of my wife and stepdaughter. Mmm so much for being safer in the chair than on my own two somewhat wobbly feet
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Sorry to hear this Noah. I hope you're well now?
  • Noah
    I'm okay now, thanks for your message Debbie. Just my broken Phone!
  • Debbie_Alumni
    I'm glad you're ok now and sorry to hear about your phone. Do you have insurance? :)
  • Noah
    I do have insurance with my home policy, covered for accidental damage! which is handy as I'm very accident prone...! But it will take min of 5 days to resolve claim, and I simply can not survive without my phone! Use it for everything, diary, GPS, reminders etc, and not least keeping in contact! Think I probably need to buy a good spare....but its all cost :-)
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Before you make a claim with your home insurance, check your policy to see how much your excess is for this type of claim. I tried this when I smashed my phone and found that my insurer wanted £100 excess. Needless to say I did not claim and borrowed a phone until I could get it replaced. If you are accident prone it might be a good idea to get a separate insurance policy specifically for your phone and/or laptop and gadgets. The excesses are usually a lot lower and the turn around times can be quite quick. Prices are quite reasonable too depending on what type of phone you have. Hope this helps and I hope you manage to get a replacement soon.
    Best wishes
    Debbie
  • niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    I agree with Debbie, I now take out separate insurance with my network provider after I broke my phone by dropping it in a puddle, when I hadn't gripped it properly in my more affected hand. The excess on the home insurance ended up being more than the phone was worth.
    Have you also thought of getting a robust case or cover for your phone? I use a really chunky cover for my iphone to give it a chance of surviving being dropped or fallen on. It also makes it easier and more comfortable to hold. When I was looking to change my phone contract I looked into getting a JCB phone, that a lot of people in the building trade use as they are pretty much indestructible, but it worked out better to get an iphone and spend money on a protective case.

I'm also very experienced at falling over!! I once managed to turn in mid air so I landed on my side and rolled to so up the impact.... A bit like a stunt man!! I am terrified of breaking my wrists when I fall, so I try and avoid landing on my hands and bumping my head at all costs, making my falls look particularly spectacular.
  • Noah
    edited November 2014
    Thank you Debbie and Niceboots - Good suggestions on getting insurance just for my phone, I will def look at that. I'm with the NFU and my excess is only £25, and it won't mess up my no claims discount too much as I only have 1 years NCB which is 15%. and only about £9 extra to pay next year, so should be fine. Its just the hassle of not having a smart phone while they look at it to decide if it will be repaired or replaced. So trusty old nokia, it is for a few days. Thanks again :-) P.s Not sure a protective case would have worked this time......as it took a huge hit! Good idea tho, and I will research on getting it better protected in a case for next time!
  • niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    you can't beat older phones for their durability! My old nokia that I had years ago survived many a fall and even a motorbike crash!
  • jdgh1950
    jdgh1950 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I can sympathise with you as I regularly fall over due to CP on left side. These days it is the getting back up that is the problem, there is never anyone about to lend a hand.
  • redchicken43
    redchicken43 Community member Posts: 48 Pioneering
    I fall over from time to time and as it seems my brain can't coordinate my movement sometimes, but the funniest experience that I had a couple of weeks ago was when my movement freaked out a dog which decided it would jump on me.
  • Noah
    Its great to read everyone's experiences, thank you :-)

Brightness