High Court Decision on wheelchair space use on buses — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

High Court Decision on wheelchair space use on buses

Rosemary
Rosemary Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Bus companies are no longer required to compel parents with buggies to make way for wheelchair users in designated bays. As a wheelchair user I am deeply concerned how this will affect my travel and will keep a log of all my bus journeys to assess the impact of this Ruling. Please do the same and share with other disabled passengers if your journeys are adversely affected.

Comments

• EllenB
    EllenB Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I think that the designated bays make it clear what should happen, hopefully more people with have empathy and not hesitate to move.
  • cfcwayne81
    cfcwayne81 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I have a 4 year old son who has checked and currently has an adapted wheelchair buggy. I work 5 days a week so my wife is his sole career. She would take the bus with him to go to appointments in our town but is now very worried about taking a bus due to this stupid ruling. We are both astonished as my wife has had 2 babies in a buggy and managed to keep the disabled places free. We both now fear there maybe conflict on the buses due to ignorant parents finding it hard to take their baby out of the buggy as to a parent with a disabled child who is unable to get out due to their needs plus a wheelchair is a lot more complicated to put down.
  • ehaynes
    ehaynes Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    just unreal.... words fail me
  • loveflower23
    loveflower23 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    I h8 sayin this but I'm glad I'm not from the U.K. BUT I feel SO BAD 4 u ALL
  • janeysue21
    janeysue21 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    I saw this happen a couple of years ago, I was on the bus and a guy in an electric
    wheelchair was about to try to get on. The driver said, sorry mate I can`t let you
    on as I have too many prams on. I was shocked and could hardly believe what I
    had just witnessed. The poor guy just said okay and did not even protest.
  • Confused
    Confused Community member Posts: 15 Courageous
    I wrote a email today to TFL on the same subject. I've asked them if they would consider to get bus companies to remove ONE double seat next to the wheelchair space then there would be enough space to carry a buggy has well as a wheelchair user. Better still get a tow rope pull us along then we won't have to put up with able bodied passengers falling on us. (Just kidding). What annoys me most is when I get on the bus and find a buggy there with no one in it. And the owner is upstairs.

Brightness