Knee replacement surgery — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Knee replacement surgery

ajb1964
ajb1964 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I am due to have knee surgery in 12 to 14 weeks. I have one knee that has been particularly impaired by arthritis the other knee seems ok to me. My surgeon has no experience of operating on anyone with CP. He has advised me that he would like undertake a replacement operation for both knees in fairly quick succession because one replacement will result in difficulties walking. My CP is relatively mild. I wanted to ask whether people who had a knee replacement on one leg had experienced any difficulties subsequently? Has anyone received similar advice at all? I would be interested to hear about peoples experiences. Thank you

Comments

• Rocky
    Rocky Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Hi, Not sure how much I can say as obviously, I do not know how you are specifically affected by your cerebral palsy but most people do eventually see a great improvement following knee replacements although you will probably need a lot of physio following the surgery. I am sure your surgeon is taking into account your disability and how it affects you even though he does not have experience of operating on someone with cerebral palsy. I would advise raising your concerns and questions with him and also, if you can, with the physiotherapist and the anaesthetist.
  • ajb1964
    ajb1964 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you Rocky. I really appreciated your feed back. I just wanted to ask whether in yours or other people's experiences, how people had managed with having only one procedure and whether any body had been advised to have both knees operated on. My CP results in a pronounced limp and I now use a stick owing to the arthritis in the knee. I did not use a walking stick until now. My other knee seems fine. I am 50 years old. Thanks again. AJB

Brightness