Employment for autistic people — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Employment for autistic people

YoungCarerOverHere
YoungCarerOverHere Community member Posts: 45 Connected
edited March 2015 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi, I'm wondering what measures (if any) there are in place for people with learning disabilities and ADHD when they are expected to enter employment? My brother won't leave education for years yet but is there any thing I could do to prepare him??? Thanks x :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Listener
    edited March 2015
    Hey YoungCarer :)

Does your bro have an EHCP or is he statemented?  

EHCP's (Education, Health & Care Plans) are gradually replacing statements - and one of the great things about them is that they are explicitly supposed to take into consideration the aspirations of the child or young person, and things should be put into motion to help them attain their goals.   Obviously this is hugely dependent on the DP, their needs and wishes, and what's appropriate.  But, for example, if your brother fancies being an engineer, and this would be recorded in the EHCP.  For this he'd probably need to go to University, and so as he grows up, the planned support would be amended and adjusted in line with his development, enabling him to sit GCSEs, then A Levels, etc, with a view for him to go to Uni at the end.   The good thing about EHCPs (as opposed to statements) is that they last until the DP is 25 years old.  So in *theory* (they are super-new!) the  DYP comes out of an EHCP process aged 25 with a really well rounded and personalised legacy of support, giving a strong foundation for entering the workplace / independent living / etc etc.  

Parents / families, (or a young disabled person, if they are 16+) wanting an EHCP can get help with the process in the form of a scheme called Independent Support.  It's provided by different organisations in different areas (Scope, for example, provides Independent Support in 6 counties) 

Outside of statementing / EHCPs, there isn't much that I know of to support disabled people in general (let alone autism-specific services) - things like this can often be a postcode lottery I'm afraid :(  But schools should have career advice available, and once he reaches adulthood, there are disability employment advisors in job centres that can help.

In general, I'd say that just chatting with him to get him used to, and thinking about, the idea of employment one day, might be a good start.  I have a cousin who loves to play 'shop' - we made him a 'shop front' out of a giant cardboard box and some paint, got him a little till that dings, and some 'products' from Ikea.... he loves it, and it's got him more comfortable with the idea of money in exchange for goods, the idea of a price, etc.  I am one of his regulars and he runs a very tight ship!

Additionally, I'm not sure if it's age appropriate or not for him  but you could perhaps suggest a little volunteering (or go along with him?) 

No idea if any of this is relevant to you, but hopefully it will act as food for thought!

-Beth xxx

• RichardLamplough
    RichardLamplough Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Beth has some good advice.  I can back this up by saying anything you can do to encourage that all important "work ethic" is vital.  My advice would be not to focus too much on "services" for your brother in the future but think more about "community".  Chat to neighbours and friends... When your brother is old enough, where might there be an opportunity for him to get some work experience?... and, hopefully, be paid for it.  Many young people do paper rounds when they are 13 or 14.  Perhaps this wouldn't fall in your brother's ability range but could he, perhaps, help sorting the papers out in the shop?

Anything you can do, in this regard, will pay huge dividends later on.  I have supported people with additional needs into paid work for over 20 years.  When I meet them for the first time if I can pick up on that all important work ethic then, even if their support needs are quite high, they have the VERY BEST CHANCE of getting an offer of paid employment... even if that takes quite a while sometimes.

Of course, young people learn all sorts of things at school, but it's my belief that if the messages are sound and consistent at home then that's where the REAL learning takes place.  Sometimes you have to push the boundaries a little and take a few risks, but often you can be amazed what can be achieved that you didn't think possible at first.

My very best wishes to you and your brother for a positive future!

- Richard
  • YoungCarerOverHere
    YoungCarerOverHere Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    Thank you for you both for your responses, they are really informative and helpful! My brother doesn't seem to show any inclination towards any specific jobs or what he wants to do in the future but work experience sounds like a good idea. At the moment, we don't trust my brother to go out on his own due to being easily distracted and over familiar with strangers but it's something we will have to improve on. To answer your question Beth my brother is statement but due to get the updated version next year

Thanks again, Catherine

Brightness