Transition - how do young adults with cerebral palsy fill their days? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Transition - how do young adults with cerebral palsy fill their days?

Options
April
April Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
My son is 23, has severe cp,  and coming to the end of his education. I would love to have some suggestions about what he can do next so that I can help him make the transition. I am really worried that he will be bored at home all day.
Do you care for a young person with severe cp, and do they have a full life? What sort of things do they do during the day?
My son has speech, but he is in a wheelchair and can't use his hands.   

Comments

• VickyS
    VickyS Community member Posts: 129 Connected
    Options
    Hi April,
    My brother-in-law has quadriplegia and is very limited in what he can do for himself, however he enjoys a full and independent life (with some help from family and his carers). His main passion is football so this directs most of what he spends his time doing. He has a season ticket for his local team and when they are not playing he watches it on the TV or listens to sport on his radio.

What's your son passionate about? Try to think of things he enjoys doing and then go from there. (Maybe he likes watching movies so why not suggest he becomes the next Barry Norman and creates his own online movie reviews).

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Vicky xx
  • Sophie Buckley
    Sophie Buckley Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    Options
    I find this hard too, although my cp is not as sever, i find bassic volteer placeement that help me meet people

Brightness