pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

pip

ords40
ords40 Community member Posts: 4 Connected
I am getting myself stressed at the thought of reapplying for pip I have a indefinite award and am so worried

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Listener
    Hey Ords40

I know there are a lot of scary stories out there about PIP reassessments so I can understand that you are worried.  And assessments/tests/interview situations bring out the nervousness in most of us -a little apprehension is normal!

But, if it's overwhelming you, perhaps slow down for a second - try to take it one step at a time... ..have you been given a date / invited to reapply yet?  

When the time comes you can take advice from a benefits advice service to ensure you know what to expect, and how best to prepare.  Scope has a directory of local advice services (you have to check the 'Information' box to bring them up) so you can find one near you.   I think they used to be called DIAL groups but some have different names now.   Also if you are of the right age you could try Age UK - they often do benefits advice. 

And if it comes to it.... ...even if the decision doesn't go your way, remember there is the mandatory reconsideration stage, and then the appeals stage- and you can get help with those too, if necessary.  

It's a stressful time and in my experience often falls when life is at it's most inconvenient for the individual concerned- but do try not to let the worries control you- deal with things as proactively as you can. 

chin up :) 

B x
  • Zec Richardson
    Zec Richardson Community member Posts: 154 Pioneering
    I'm also on edge waiting for the day that letter arrives, I thought getting an indefinite award meant no more stress from that area, but Cameron and his chums certainly have messed up a lot of lives and what is worse is that the Cameron's claimed DLA for their son.
  • Ceejay
    Ceejay Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi Zec

Nothing is certain until the election is over. However, I have gained a lot of PIP experience, and then there are sites like Benefits and Work, and many other places to help with benefits like CAB, and those mentioned above.
    I am happy to help you and anyone to do their PIP. Mine has been a long journey, since February 2013. Along that journey, I have learned a lot as I went through each stage.

Bestest wishes
    Ceejay
  • Stripes
    Stripes Community member Posts: 24 Listener
    Hi Ords40

I am also worried about being re-assessed for PIP. I have been on DLA for 30 years.

One of the things that I have done is I have written how my condition Cerebral Palsy affects my ability with walking and the difficulties I have,

I talked about my unsteady gait and the number of time I fall over.

If you fall over on a regular basis it might be worth making a note of where and when you fall over.

If you have a serious fall but do not require medical treatment, I would still mentioned it your GP who can make a record of the fall on your records, so when he/she has to complete any forms for the DWP they will have record of your history of falls.

I have then taken the information to my GP so that when or if the DWP write to your GP then they all ready have an idea of the difficulties you have which they can then use when completing any forms that they receive

I remembered last year I burnt myself slightly when trying to take something out of the oven; it was not serious but the next time I was talking to my GP I got her to write it down on my records for future reference,

This also makes your GP aware that they may be contacted by the DWP in the near future.

I hope this helps
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi everyone,

You can check when you will be affected by the PIP rollout by using the PIP checker on the government website. You'll find all of the up to date information on the next stages of the roll out and the postcode areas affected. https://www.gov.uk/pip-checker

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need any advice about PIP and please keep talking about all the things you are doing to prepare for the transfer. I'm also keen to hear from people who have successfully been through the PIP process and any information they can offer to help others with their claims.

Thank you all for your contributions to the discussion.

Best wishes
    Debbie

• Zec Richardson
    Zec Richardson Community member Posts: 154 Pioneering
    Thank you Debbie, its nice to know that there is the help if needed :-)
  • Kennethroad
    Kennethroad Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi everyone, I am asking if anyone has had the same experience with PIP. A friend of mine is living in supported accommodation. He moved there from spending a year in hospital. He filled out all the forms etc stating that he was now living in supported accommodation and was awarded PIP care. He has now received a letter from DWP saying that he is not entitled to PIP as he is being funded already by Essex County Council.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hello Kennethroad,

If your friend is residing in an establishment that provides accommodation together with nursing or personal care, the daily living component of PIP is not normally payable if any of the costs of the accommodation, board or personal care are met out of public funds.

If you want to discuss this in more depth, please get in touch with me at the helpline.

Best wishes
    Debbie

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.