cp and my experience as a teen. do you have any advice ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

cp and my experience as a teen. do you have any advice ?

underestimatedgirl
underestimatedgirl Community member Posts: 4 Listener
hello, my experience with cerebral palsy is that my parents were told that I would never walk or talk . I can do both , the sad thing about it is when I was just 3 days old my twin brother also died from the disability . I been bullied a lot and be called a lot of names I am not going to tell you them as I don't want to upset anyone but it is hard to be me . everything will be better I am determined to make it so. all I want to do is inspire people.

Comments

• hasenahmed
    hasenahmed Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Just hearing that you are walking and talking is inspiring. school can be very difficult and kids can throw hurtful words at you. you just gotta keep fighting and concentrate on improving. I think your determination alone is the key thing here and you should never change that. I'm always inspired by peoples struggles but your struggles and your fight against everything this world has thrown at you is very inspiring and motivating me to support my student who has CP the best way i can. I wish you all the best.
  • underestimatedgirl
    underestimatedgirl Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    It is very difficult at school especially now that I'm doing my exams and we have odd timetables
  • Jill2013
    Jill2013 Scope Member Posts: 12 Listener
    have you got someone you can talk to at school who understands your needs. It doesn't have to be someone your age, it could be a teacher which you get on well with. School for someone who is different is always difficult and there are some cruel people out their that will call you names. You have achieved so much already learning to walk and talk. Good luck with your exams and hope you do well.
  • YoungCarerOverHere
    YoungCarerOverHere Community member Posts: 45 Connected
    Hello x It sounds like you are a very strong individual, a great inspiration for others.i also am in high school and I know how cruel teenagers can be and how stressful exam session is. Keep on going x And I wish you good luck xx
  • Lena Welch
    Lena Welch Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hi my parents were also told I would never walk, I would never ride a bike etc but I achieved all of these. I have Cerebral Palsy and am visually impaired. Life was very tough at school especially at secondary school like you say other teens can be very nasty. I went to a mainstream school with a special unit for children with disabilities so the children were more aware but not to say teens were still nasty because I was different but I am hoping you have some really good friends who see you for who you are rather than just a person with a disability or who is different. I'm trying to find another job and again you have the same barriers to overcome to prove we are capable. It will happen all throughout life, I'm not 27 and constantly have to prove myself and it's hard. I have a guide dog so I am more independent and can go to work and do things on my own but I want to move out and like you we all have aspirations and goals and I think being disabled makes us more determined and we probably achieve far more in life than we would had we not been disabled. Your doing brilliantly keep positive. If you want someone to talk to I am willing to talk to you and if you are getting bullied please talk to someone at school as that's not on and should be dealt with. X Lena
  • Jgeek
    Jgeek Community member Posts: 66 Connected
    Hey, You know what? In a perfect world no one would need to prove themselves (and my fiance would look like the lead singer of the Foo Fighters!) but it's not, evolution or whatever we came from has made as weary or intrigued by the atypical. I was born with fairly bad CP and found that I almost needed to find a new identity at school so people knew I could be identified with, I was academic at school and loved music, choose something you love or just have in common with your peers, also show you can laugh at same things and don't be afraid to actually say it sucks sometimes to let people know CP isn't you, its a thing you have. Take care :-)

Brightness