Hi, my name is Kay1506! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Kay1506!

Kay1506
Kay1506 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited June 2015 in Start here and say hello!
I have decided to join the scope community as my 3 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with cerebral palsy and i dont know alot about it.

Comments

• Rocky
    Rocky Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Hello Kay, Welcome to this Community.
    It is quite common for children not to receive a diagnosis of cerebral palsy until they are around 2 or 3 years old. This is because there are no specific tests for CP although I expect your daughter has had a brain MRI. The doctors usually reach a diagnosis after examining the MRI, monitoring how the child is affected physically and cognitively and observing how and when childhood milestones are met.

Cerebral palsy is a very wide ranging condition and no two people are affected in the same way. You can find a lot of general info about CP on the Scope website as well as details of services to support newly diagnosed children and their families.

I do not know what the doctors have told you so far. Is she having physiotherapy? This can be an important treatment as cp is something that affects the muscles and motor control of the body.

Do reply with more information and then I can help you more as will other parents who use this site.
  • Kay1506
    My daughter had an mri scan at the start of the year. She had been having physiotherapy before we got the results back an is still having it now and she also has boots to help her walking
  • Rocky
    Rocky Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Hi again, What exactly have the doctors told you following the MRI scan? Is there anything you are specifically worried about. Great that she is getting physio and has boots to help her walking. Hope you are getting lots of information and support.
  • Kay1506
    Not alot really. Just confirmed that it is cerebral palsy. Asked me to find out if anyone else in the family has it. Thats it really.
  • Kay1506
    They have said she could have learning difficulties an it could get worse as she gets older

Brightness