opinions — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

opinions

jamesthespoon
jamesthespoon Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I have arthritis in both my hips and I have been given the choice to have hip replacements but I'm still not sure whether I should get them just yet I am hoping for what other people in my situation think I should do.

Comments

• Susan Butler
    Susan Butler Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I too have arthritis in both of my hips. Mine is OA. I was not given the option to have them replaced early enough and with having Fibromyalgia as well I became unable to continue to work and gained a lot of weight from not being able to get around properly. I started out on crutches when I was unable to manoeuvre without somebody helping me. Eventually I was in so much pain we bought a mobility scooter and a wheelchair. I was sent to see an orthopaedic surgeon who was horrified at the crunching sounds from my hips and said that both needed to be replaced asap. I was too heavy and needed to lose a few stone which took me quite a long time and by then my hips had both collapsed. I have since had the right side Total Hip Replacement and it took two surgeons who were used to complicated hip problems 3 hours to do the op and I heard them say how bad it was and how rigid my joints were as they struggled to move me into the correct position. I had to have my surgery without being knocked out or sedated because of other health problems and the medications I was on and it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it might be. I never felt any pain at all but could feel the vibration of the drill and hammers etc. That op took me right out of the pain on my right side and it feels wonderful. I am now looking to have the left side done and hope it goes as well as the last one. I would say it depends on your age. I was 53 when mine was done and normally they won't offer you the operation when you are too young because of the life of the joints. Please don't leave it too long like I did as the pain I have been in and still am is excruciating without me taking high dose morphine at 200mgs per day plus top ups of oramorph for breakthrough pain as well as anti-inflammatories and paracetamol. I still feel the pain but it is just about manageable as long as I don't walk on it anymore than is absolutely necessary. I have just been provided with an electric wheelchair for indoors and out by the Wheelchair services but it has taken months to sort it out. Good luck.

Brightness