UNFAIR ADVANTAGE — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UNFAIR ADVANTAGE

merlin05
merlin05 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
THOSE REGISTERED BLIND ARE RECEIVING FULL DLA MOBILITY COMPONANT FROM APRIL. HOWEVER UNLIKE THE REST OF US WHO HAD TO PROVE OUR NEEDS FOR THIS BY MEDICAL ALL THEY ARE BEING ASKED TO PROVE IS THEIR PROOF OF REGISTRATION,. THIS IS EITHER TJHEIR LETTER OF REGISTRATION (CVI) CERTIFICATE OF VISUAL IMPAIRMENT OR (SSI) SEVERELY SIGHT IMPAIRED.
IF THEY DO NOT HAVE ANY OF THESE THE REGISTERED PERSON ASK THEM TO CONTACT THE CONSULTANT. THIS IS DONE OVER THE TELEPHONE AND THEY SEND THEIR REGISTRATION OFF. EVEN THOUGH IT COULD BE WRONG THERE IS NO INDEPENDEANT CHECK BY ANOTHER DOCTOR NOT KNOWN BY THE CLIENT UNLIKE WHEN WE HAD OURS.

Comments

• youngster
    youngster Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    You are correct in the fact that as of April people who are blind will be eligable to recieve the higher rate. If they have a score of 3 less this is shown on the certificate. You can only be scored if you go through a vigirous testing procedure.So it isn't a matter of just sending off a certificate or getting one.
    My wife who is blind and is registered and has a certificate was contacted by the department in mid April and has a score of one she is still waiting for the higher rate to be applied this i am sure is due to the high number of people that require assistance due to their sight or lack of and the vigious checks they make.
    My wife has to travel to Moorfields in London at least twice a year and has to go to our local hospital about the same number of times. My wife unfortunatly cannot leave our home without assistance as there a number of busy roads in our area and she feels vunerable. If you or anybody are trapped in their own homes it becomes a prison so the higher rate is going to help end the prison sentence. Traveling to the hospitals and other places that she requires to go to need public transport or taxis for her and her traveling companion this is not cheap. I can't ways take her as I am at work other wise I would.
    I not sure what point you are trying to make. If you have grievance with the DWP in the way you were dealt with then take up with them not with the blind people who have been duped out of the higher rate for many years. This is a life line that you and many disabled people recieve and finally blind people are now entitled to as well.
  • KatieR2
    KatieR2 Community member Posts: 28 Listener

I think being blind would be one of the hardest things next to being paralysed

regards Katie
  • LULL
    LULL Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I am sickened by this ignorant member. I have two Blind brothers and believe me their life is just as hard if not worse than my own and I deal with a spinal injury and R/R MS. You must be a very aggrieved and bitter person to even think the way you do let alone post a public comment. Get your facts right!
  • justme
    justme Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi,

Whilst I do understand your frustration at having to jump through so many hoops, I do not feel this is an unfair advantage. As said before, those registered blind have already 'proved' their disability. Getting them to attend another assessment would be a waste of money and have little value. I am a wheelchair user and receive higher rate DLA mobility. I did not have to go to a DLA assessment because they could conclude from speaking to my GP and reading my medical reports that my condition was severe enough that I would definitely qualify.

Brightness