PIP and what constitues an aid to walking — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and what constitues an aid to walking

Jill2013
Jill2013 Scope Member Posts: 12 Listener
I am trying to complete my PIP form and wondered if anyone can help. Is made to measure shoes from the NHS counted as an aid for walking. As I have extremely wide feet and cannot get shoes to fit from the high street or on line they are being supplies by Orthotics for my CP and Arthritis with made to measure insoles. Could this possible count as an aid for walking?

Comments

• ScopeHelpline
    ScopeHelpline Community member Posts: 207 Courageous
    Hi Jill2013,

I'm not sure that made to measure shoes on their own would qualify as a walking aid however it is still important to include this in your application. The question here is would you be able to walk without them? If not then yes you could say that they are a walking aid.

Unfortunately I cannot find a definitive answer for you but as PIP is based on how your disability affects you, if you cannot walk without your made to measure shoes then it could be argued that they are in fact walking aids. I think this will be one for the DWP to consider along with all of the other information and evidence to support your claim.

Disability Rights UK has a great guide called 'Personal Independence Payment A guide to making a claim' and it offers some very useful information to help with the form filling. You can find the guide by following this link to the Disability Rights UK website http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/personal-independence-payment-pip

I would be grateful if you could keep us posted on the outcome of your claim and whether your shoes were accepted as a walking aid.

Good luck
    Debbie
  • Jill2013
    Jill2013 Scope Member Posts: 12 Listener
    PIP assessment tomorrow so nervous. Will let you know the outcome later.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Good luck and best wishes :)

Brightness