Cerebral Palsy and feet?? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Cerebral Palsy and feet??

LittleJ28
LittleJ28 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited May 2016 in Cerebral palsy
Hi I'm Jess, I am 23 years old now and have mild cp. Over the years after splints, physio etc my CP has got loads better, sometimes I feel a bit of a fraud using the word. However the past few years I have notice how painful my feet are, the ball under my big toe inparticular. I was just wondering does anyone else have this trouble and is it down to my CP? I went to see my doctor and I admit I have not always chose the best, most supportive foot wear since coming out of splints etc, I just wanted to fit in, but now i'm paying the price. Also the back of my lower legs tends to feel really tight and painful is this my CP to? Loads of questions I know sorry for bothering you and thank you for your time xxxx

Comments

• LittleJ28
    Can I also ask I have been tumbling, falling a lot lately. Some of that is down to inappropriate footwear but some isn't. Is it me just being me and clumsy or could my CP have something to do with that to.
    Thanks again
    Jess xxxx
  • Rocky
    Rocky Community member Posts: 76 Listener
    Hi Jess, Our feet do change as we get older and it sounds as if your current difficulties are more to do with not getting the right support from your shoes. This could affect your posture as well as causing pain in your legs, knees and hips. It may be worth going back to your GP and asking for a referral to the hospital so that your gait and walking can be assessed. You may find that just having specific support in your shoes helps.
  • niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Hi Jess, I'm 28 and have relatively mild spastic diplegia cp.
    Over the past few years (I would say from age 23/24) I felt my cp was getting harder to deal with. Up until then I was muddling along ok, I stopped wearing splints at 18 and hadn't seen a physio since then.... Like you my feet were starting to cause me problems, and my legs were getting tighter. I also had pain in the ball of my foot, which I was told is caused by the muscle imbalance in my feet. I got myself referred to both physio and the Orthotics clinic, they recommended going back into a splint on my left side (which is my more affected side) this made things easier and more comfortable for me. I also started wearing Piedro boots again to give me more support.
    A couple of years ago I started noticing my right foot was getting worse, so I went to orthotics and he recommended I wear a splint on that side too to give my more support, I have a deformed big toe on my right which makes my foot really wide that makes getting footwear to fit properly a nightmare, but since wearing splints on both sides, I feel more steady on my feet and haven't noticed anything getting worse.
    Do you still see a physio?
    chris
  • LittleJ28
    Arrrr thank you so much for your replies, help and advise. No I am no longer under a physio not seen one since being about 15 or so. I never wore piedros just splints thank you :) xxxx I think I may book an appointment in the morning xxxx
  • LittleJ28
    I have finally got round to booking that appointment, so will see what they have to say :) thank you again for your help and advise xxxx
  • bethanh
    bethanh Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks - very useful to hear from this age group.
    (mother of 13 year old with CP - just switched from splints to insoles - for now anyway).

Brightness