App: Be my eyes - any experiences? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

App: Be my eyes - any experiences?

jubejube
jubejube Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited August 2016 in Sensory impairments
I recently found this app and I think it's just such a cool idea. Has anyone heard of it / experiences to share? It's called Be My Eyes: http://www.bemyeyes.org/

The idea is that:
A blind person requests assistance in the Be My Eyes app. The challenge that he/she needs help with can be anything from knowing the expiry date on the milk to navigating new surroundings.
and then...
The volunteer helper receives a notification for help and a live video connection is established. From the live video the volunteer can help the blind person by answering the question they need answered.

Comments

• VickyS
    VickyS Community member Posts: 129 Connected
    Sounds like a great idea!
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    edited November 2015
    A great idea - not sure if I would be completly comfortable with having video calls with total strangers. Yet the concept is great, embracing video call technology, could be a great way of enabling visually impaired individuals to have greater independence.

Thanks for the post

Noah
  • jubejube
    Yeah I had a similar feeling when I first read about it, but ultimately I trust people when I look at TripAdvisor or AirBnB recommendations, I trust total strangers that I ask for the way when I'm in a foreign country - so why stop there? ;)

Have a nice day :)
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    I just feel inviting total strangers into your personal home or space by means of a live video call carry's a high degree of risk. I would be most interested tho to try out the service to see what measures are in place to protect ithe users privacy. It clearly is a great idea that may help people with sight issuers have greater independence. I plan to research further.

Thanks again for sharing

Noah
  • jubejube
    Yeah, I see what you mean, and of course there will always be some black sheep... Unfortunately, I don't have personal experiences to share with you, but let me know what you find out!

Brightness