Hi, my name is ejaleigh! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is ejaleigh!

ejaleigh
ejaleigh Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Mother of a son with autism

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi ejaleigh,

Welcome to the community, I hope you enjoy being part of the community :)
  • ejaleigh
    I need some advice. My son is 15 and in an independent school. They can no longer meet his needs. I am trying to get him into an autistic unit but need an EHC. This has been turned down. My only way to get one is to get an ed psych report. The council says the school must pay but they can't so w must now pay. Is there any support available that could help me to fund this?
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    edited November 2015
    Hi ejaleigh,

It might be a good idea to get some advice from IPSEA about this. www.ipsea.org.uk From what I understand, if a school can't meet an SEN student's needs this would trigger an EHC assessment. This is not my area of expertise though unfortunately so it's worth checking with the experts at IPSEA. If you're not already in touch with an Independent Advice service in your area you can find yours on the following website http://www.iassnetwork.org.uk/ I believe that schools aren't obligated to pay for reports and I'm not aware of grants for this but you could try www.turn2us.org.uk and search their grants database.
    Let us know how you get on.
  • ejaleigh
    Thank you for such great advice. I am awaiting a call back from IPSEA. I've also got my MP on it too. I will look up the turn2us site. Any help would be much appreciated.

Brightness