Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

I've been accepted onto the council housing register as low need but have sent in a medical form


  • CountrygirlCountrygirl Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2015
    Hi please could you give me some advice. I am currently in private rent which I moved to on leaving an abusive ex husband. I have had back issues for 27 years. These incluse prolapsed discs L4/5 degeneration of the spine T7/8 and lumber stenosis. Nerve damage in leg causing pain and weakness. I have recently applied to the council for help with level council housing, as this private rent property is unsuitable for me as I have now had two falls trying to exit the shower which is above the bath. I am also not able to do the steps to front and rear of property. I have been accepted onto the council housing
    register as low need but have sent in a medical form with consultants report. Drs report and occupational therapists report. I am on esa and pip and i have a carer to help me. Can you tell me if I need to do anything else? I am low but need to try to get higher need as I have not had a shower here for 5 months and because I can not do steps I walk accross the grass to my door and with winter its getting slippery. Any help please?
  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Member Posts: 947 Pioneering
    Hi Countrygirl,

    It sounds as though you've done everything you can. Your Council should have given you information about how they allocate their housing, if not, you should be able to find their allocations policy on their website. This will lay out in detail how they allocate their housing and which preference grounds they use. A lot changed when the Localism Act 2011 was introduced and now local authorities have greater powers to manage their housing stock based on local needs and supply.
    You can also appeal the banding decision but there are time limits to this and I'm not clear on when you had your decision from the Council.
    There are no easy answers i'm afraid. It might be worth getting some local advice though. Which part of the country do you live in?
  • CountrygirlCountrygirl Member Posts: 5
    Hi thank you for replying. I have only just been accepted onto the council waiting list and had my letter stating low need two weeks ago. But have given my medical form in last week but have to wait until dec when it will be looked at to decide if I should be higher priority than low as i am unable to use steps or shower here. I didnt know if there was anything else i should do. I am uk. England
  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Member Posts: 947 Pioneering
    Hi Countrygirl,

    I would wait and see what their decision is once they've seen your medical form, it might change your banding. However you do have the right to appeal. DId you inform them that you weren't happy with the banding they gave you?
    Which Council is dealing with your housing application?

  • CountrygirlCountrygirl Member Posts: 5
    Ok thank you I will I guess I have done everythingg I can for now with my medical evidence etc. I will let you know the outcome. Thank you
  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Member Posts: 947 Pioneering
    Please do let me know how it goes, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Sign in or join us to comment.