piedro footwear stiffeners — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

piedro footwear stiffeners

adamlathamsmith
adamlathamsmith Community member Posts: 54 Connected
whats the differences with extended stiffeners and corset stiffener

Comments

• Stayce
    Stayce Community member, CP Network Posts: 843 Pioneering
    I believe the extended stiffners both provide medial and lateral support and the corset stiffner additionally holds the subtalar joint in a fixed stable position. But do talk to your orthotist about the options available. Hope this helps.
  • adamlathamsmith
    Can piedro footwear be used with flat feet with both of the stiffners
  • Stayce
    I would talk to your Orthotist (,if you have one, if not get your GP to refer you to one). Or contact Gilbert & Mellish and see which products they would advise for your foot condition. The stiffners are built into the piedro boots, so its about selecting the right ones for you. Piedro boots will help with stability, but I suspect that if you have flat feet you may also need additional arch support in the shoe, this is why you need to speak with an orthotist or Gilbert & Mellish http://www.gilbert-mellish.co.uk/Shop/Products/biogel-arch-support/606.aspx
    Hope that helps.
  • adamlathamsmith
    Will the nhs give me some piedro footwear for flat feet
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    edited November 2015
    After a full assessment by a trained orthodist, the NHS will provide what they feel is most appropriate for your individual needs, and within their local policy for supplying orthotics. Piedro boots are only one option, there are lots of other very exciting orthotics that are being developed and are coming to market. My advice would be the same as Stayce, get yourself an appointment with an Orthodist, go with an open mind. Fully explain to them what you are trying to achieve and work with them for the best possible outcome.

I wish you all the best,

Please let us know how you get on, I would be most interested.

Thanks for your question.

Noah
  • adamlathamsmith
    please can you tell me company that the NHS use to order piedro footwear from
  • Noah
    This depends on the NHS trust, yet I know quite a few use http://www.gilbert-mellish.co.uk
  • adamlathamsmith
    i have had my appointment about flat feet but they will not give my any boots but i have 2nd appointment to see how i am doing will try again then to get the boots if no i will go privet
  • adamlathamsmith
    also in the piedro footwear how strong is Rehabilitation Stiffener to other footwear in the stops and on line
  • Stayce
    What were the recommendations given to you at your appointment? Did you see an orthotist or a podiatrist? Were you prescribed any different orthotics?

Piedro boots are orthopaedic footwear so I would have thought the stiffners would be stronger than your average footwear in shops or online. The stiffner are also in places of need for unstable ankles. Why don't you give Gilbert and Mellish a call and talk to them about your foot problem, I am sure they would be happy to advise you, if you think these look the best option for you.. This link will take you to their contact page http://www.gilbert-mellish.co.uk/Contact-Us.aspx.
    Bear in mind though, that there are many types of orthotics that can often achieve similar goals. I would be interested what was recommended at your appointment and what was the reason given to you for not ordering the piedro boots?

Hope this helps

Best wishes

• adamlathamsmith
    all there give me was some new insoles but trainers are not give me the support that i need and boots do for 1 or 2 till they have been broken in
  • Stayce
    What are the insoles like? Do they help at all?

What was the orthotist/ podiatrist view on the piedro boots for you?

Have you tried trainer boots?

• adamlathamsmith
    edited December 2015
    the insole work but not 100% even with my trainers witch has anke support in them
    and the orthotist/ podiatrist don't thick they will make much differnts. but i thick they will even if i have to privately.
    i problems haven try them in the past
  • adamlathamsmith
    edited December 2015
    i have 2nd appointment soon so i could ask them then and see what they say
  • Stayce
    edited December 2015
    Is the person you have seen an orthotist or a podiatrist?

If the insoles work ( in part) I would talk to them about a number of things

A. Would you benefit from increased lateral wedging in the insole (this would tip your foot inwards further to attempt to limit you going over on your ankle)

B Whether shoe adaptations might be another option Wedging could be added to your own shoes at the heel.

C. Whether it would be suitable to wear an ankle brace with your insoles (aircast do some good off the shelf ankle braces). I used to do this after injury).

C. If your foot problems are a result of a neurological condition (is Cerebral Palsy, Stroke, MS) then a lycra splints could be suitable which could be worn with the insoles. if not then an AFO maybe an option ( Noah has written some interesting posts on hinged AFOs on this forum check them out)

If you still feel that piedro boots could be the answer after asking some of the questions above at your next appointment, I guess if they won't supply them and you think they will work the only thing to do is to try them yourself as it maybe the on!y way you find out. I understand your frustration to have to pay out for something that may not work, but it may be the only way to find out for sure.

Has anyone else here found it difficult to obtain piedro boots on the NHS as I am sure Adam would like to hear from you.

Hope this helps

Best wishes

• Noah
    All excellent advice Stayce, thank you.

It's about working with your orthodist - for the very best possible outcome.

I had Pedro boots for many years with various adaptations, different types of stiffners etc.

Yet I used to literally destroy the boots in about 2 weeks - so when my orthodist and I finally got a hinged afo to work - it was amazing, being able to buy my own chosen design of shoes for the very first time felt incredible.

It takes a lots of time effort and patience to find the right individual solution - don't give up on the new setup you have been prescribed, and try your best to provide as much feedback as possible to your orthodist so you can both work at finding the right solution for you.

Keep us posted

All the very best

Noah
  • adamlathamsmith
    Me insole will work 100% for my flat feet if I can get footwear with more support etc as I need ankle support for my insoles to work
  • Noah
    edited December 2015
    Its the January sales maybe it's time to go to the highstreet and see what is available, a good walking boot might give you what you need.

At least then you can demonstrate to your orthodist that you have tried to find suitable footware - you might even find something that you like and works with your feet.

Try sports and outdoor clothing shops.

Most shoe outlets have good return policy's, so you maybe able to take home and try out indoors and then return if not any good. Worth looking into.
  • adamlathamsmith
    edited December 2015
    thank you for all you help so far.
    noah please can you tell how much more stiffeners are in piedro boots then other boots and trainers like how strong the stiffeners are etc
  • adamlathamsmith
    edited January 2016
    i be ordering the piedro Rehabilitation Stiffener boots soon if there are no good i send them back and get the Stability footwear from outside the uk

Brightness