My son can only say a few words. He is always having objects or papers in his mouth — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son can only say a few words. He is always having objects or papers in his mouth

Options
hk97
hk97 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited October 2021 in Sensory impairments

Comments

• hk97
    Options
    Hi Chris,I am hoping you or someone can help me. My son is 18 and has severe global learning difficulties. He can only say a few words.. He is always having objects or papers in his mouth...he can chew through the recommended chew objects that are for this need. Recently I found in his poop 3 balloons that I have no idea where they came from. Normally he doesn't swallow the objects so this has frightened me. Can you suggest what I can do as its very hard to control. The other night he was ripping the material from his waterproof mattress protector and that's what I found in his poops today........lots of stringy plastic. Sorry about my choice of subject but I need help from someone.
  • hk97
    Options
    Hi Chris me again, can you also help with another problem. As my son 18 year old son has global development delay and can only say a few words but can understand a lot more. He will point or take us to what he wants. My problem is he does a lot of screeching and very loud vocal noises. Sometimes it may be for a reason like his gas in his stomach. Other times it's guess work why he is doing it, but it is so hard to know how to handle this without raising my own voice in frustration. Help.........please.
  • LondonSpeechTherapy
    LondonSpeechTherapy Community member Posts: 60 Connected
    Options
    hk97 said:
    Hi Chris,I am hoping you or someone can help me. My son is 18 and has severe global learning difficulties. He can only say a few words.. He is always having objects or papers in his mouth...he can chew through the recommended chew objects that are for this need. Recently I found in his poop 3 balloons that I have no idea where they came from. Normally he doesn't swallow the objects so this has frightened me. Can you suggest what I can do as its very hard to control. The other night he was ripping the material from his waterproof mattress protector and that's what I found in his poops today........lots of stringy plastic. Sorry about my choice of subject but I need help from someone.
    Good afternoon,

Thank you for your question. Have you considered that there may be a sensory reason behind your son mouthing objects? May I ask if
    you have discussed this with your GP as a referral to CAMHS may be warranted to work with a Clinical Psychologist?

Best wishes

Chris

Brightness