Do children who are becoming withdrawn improve? How can we best help him? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do children who are becoming withdrawn improve? How can we best help him?

renacahill
renacahill Community member Posts: 145 Courageous
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hello my name is Hannah and I'm an educational psychologist.

Comments

• renacahill
    Hello.  My grandson is 7 with severe cerebral palsy and non verbal, but does attend a MS primary with 1-1 care.  The latest educational psychologist to see him took on board what we said about him always appearing bright and demonstrating an ability to phonetically read middle range words (pancake eg) over a year ago.  He said he wouldn't classify a child he could test although the previous ed psych had said severe LD because he couldnt build a tower of 2 bricks.  Not unusual as he can barely pick anything up!  

But.  Sometimes my GS appears to totally ignore what we are saying and not even try to do what we ask.  His hearing and vision are fine.  Other times it's clear he's overheard conversations and is reacting (as in his physio coming over to make him do more exercise) anxiously.  

This distance, like he is in a bubble, has come on gradually over the past couple of years and we think it is due to lack of effective communicate.  We are now addressing this (or trying to as its a major subject) but wish we knew what to do better.  SLT at school is very poor and the TAs have no knowledge of the speciality.  Elli is however a very popular boy with the other children and doesn't ignore them!  

He is starting a conductive education school in September so will hopefully get more help there, but my question (finally!) is do children who are becoming withdrawn improve?  How can we best help him?  Is it normal to look at people as though they are speaking double Dutch if you don't want to engage with them?  
  • EducationalPsychologist
    EducationalPsychologist Community member Posts: 118 Courageous
    Hello Rena, I believe all children have the capacity to improve their skills.... But no one can say how much or how long. Crucial to maximising progress is having a clear understanding of a child's needs then ensuring interventions are SMART. I think you are right to focus on communication to help him. We all have days we don't feel like working and he needs the opportunity to have his feelings recognised and acknowledged. Adults working with your grandson may adapt their teaching approaches if he is feeling eg unmotivated or anxious. Focus on getting him SLT and hopefully this will answer some questions and open some doors for his progress.
  • renacahill
    Many thanks.  I think because there are so many challenges with a complex involved child it's difficult to focus on specific goals, but I will bear in mind SMART objectives, especially regarding communication.  

Brightness