PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP

Carrie38
Carrie38 Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
Hi I was asked to apply for PIP in November 2015. To move over from DLA. I have my medical in February 16. I still do not have a decison.  Why the long wait?

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi Carrie38,

Although it seems like a long wait, the delays in processing PIP were much greater when it was first implemented back in 2013 and it became quite common to hear from people who had been waiting months for a decision. Lots of work was put in by the DWP to reduce these delays and now we're seeing quicker decisions, but the quality has dropped. The latest figures state that 61% of people who appeal their PIP decisions at tribunal are winning. http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/news/2016/april/three-five-win-pip-appeals-process-putting

This suggests to me that more time is needed to properly consider a claim rather than rushing a decision out and the claimant having to face a long wait to get to tribunal.
    I would say it's early days, don't be too concerned at this stage. I would rather the time be taken to reach the right decision than rush a decision out which could be wrong.

If you provided the DWP with a mobile number they should be sending texts to keep you up to date. I hope that they are communicating with you to keep you in the loop.

You will still keep receiving your DLA until the PIP decision has been made and I hope this offers some reassurance to you.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • Carrie38
    Hi They have my mobile number I hear nothing from them. Just keep being told it will be anytime  soon. For last month .
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    If the wait becomes too long it might be worth contacting your local MP to see if they can offer any assistance? If you're still concerned and want to talk to me some more, get in touch with me at the helpline :)
  • Carrie38
    It was end of November I applied .

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.