Children with disabilities being penalised for absence at school — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Children with disabilities being penalised for absence at school

LauraH
LauraH Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Hello, I currently work at Bobath Children's Therapy Centre Wales which provides therapy for children diagnosed with cerebral palsy. We've recently had many parents experiencing problems with attending appointments at the centre due to children being marked as absent at school when they are brought for appointments (despite this being for medical reasons). This has led to parents either missing therapy appointments or wanting these during school holidays which for many reasons is not feasitble at the moment.

I was just wondering if any parents here had had any similar experiences with their children being penalised for being absent at school despite this being for medical reasons (for example attending medical appointments in relation to their disability). I was also wondering if any one here knew of any campaigns against this at the moment?

Thank you for your help,

Laura.

Comments

• kelly2016
    kelly2016 Community member Posts: 30 Listener
    Yes this is a problem. My child never gets a 100% attendance certificate as she has mornings or afternoons absent for medical appointments and even though there marked as medical it brings her attendance down.  Which is unfair as she never has a day absent for illness.    She gets so upset being the only one not to receive the certificate    
    Medical appointments should be exempt from attendance and punctuality percentages.  As we don't choose the appointment time or days and when you waited 4 months for a appointment it's unfair for parents to be put in this position.  

Brightness