Ramp to my front door — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ramp to my front door

Options
kirsty1990
kirsty1990 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
hello, I am getting the keys to my first home soon and have been trying to sort out a ramp for me to use to be able to get in. Occupational therapists won't help until I live at the property (which I can't do without a ramp) and there is also a long waiting list to be seen. Do you have any advice about how to get other help / funding to get a ramp fitted sooner? Does anyone know how much on average a builder would charge to do it? I will be moving to Birmingham. 
Thanks so much for any help you can give :)

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Kirsty,

Thanks for your post. Congratulations on your new home, you must be really excited! (Apart from the issue with the ramp)

Is the OT aware that you have a moving in date? I wonder if it would be possible to get some emergency assistance from them on the day that you are due to move in?

There's a couple of options to consider and of course one of those is to finance the installation of your own ramp. There is also the possibility of hiring a ramp on a temporary basis until the OT can come and assess but this is going to cost unless you can find an organisation which hires them out for free.

You could also consider purchasing a folding, portable ramp which could be used at home and anywhere else that you need access to. Check out Ebay for products like this. Often people sell or donate used equipment and this can bring down the cost a bit. There are numerous companies selling portable ramps so it's worth doing some searching if you can't get any help from the OT prior to moving in. I suppose you would then have the option of selling the ramp when you have one built or keeping it to use when travelling?

I think it would be worth contacting a local disability organisation such as http://www.scope.org.uk/support/services-directory/freshwinds-disability-information-birmingham or http://www.scope.org.uk/support/services-directory/lisieux-trust-disability-info-advice-birmingham. They may be able to advise you further about this.

If you need financial help search the grants database on www.turn2us.org.uk, it might not be a quick enough option to apply for funding but it's worth bearing it in mind.

Let me know how you get on and good luck!

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • kirsty1990
    kirsty1990 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Debbie 

Thanks so so much for your reply! I'll have a good look through those links you have given me and try talking again to the Occupational Therapists. 

Ill let let you know how I get on :)

Thank you again!
    Kirsty

Brightness