Anything to help while we wait for speech therapy? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anything to help while we wait for speech therapy?

Romaneeya29
Romaneeya29 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited October 2021 in Sensory impairments

Comments

• Romaneeya29
    Hello Chris, my daughter is 2 years and 5 months old. She can read and already be able to write some alphabets and number, she can count 1-100, knows all shapes, colours, animals and nursery rhymes but she can't communicate even with simple questions like yes or no. She doesn't seem to understand basic things like "kick the ball", " kick your legs", "Put  the pen on the table" when she wants me to get things for her she just stares at the object and cry. She doesn't call me mum, she only say mum when I ask her who am I. she also doesn't like to play with other children.
     I took her to Chatter Box and they said she needs speech therapy but the waiting list is around 8 months. Is anything I can do to help during this long time waiting? Thank you very much.
    Romaneeya 
  • LondonSpeechTherapy
    LondonSpeechTherapy Community member Posts: 60 Connected
    edited January 2017
    Good morning Romaneeya,

If you're not in the position to pay privately for Speech Therapy I would suggest that you increase the amount of time she spends with other children as much as possible - are there any parent/toddler groups in your area? Rather than ask her questions shift your language to comment on what she is doing at a single word level (e.g. using single words to label what she's playing / looking towards). I have a couple of questions - Does she respond to nursery rhymes? Has the Speech Therapy referral gone in?

BW

Chris

• Romaneeya29
    Good morning Chris, thank you very much for replying. Jasmine responses very well with nursery rhymes whenever I start to sing she will join in and finish the songs. I do take her to play groups, Gymboree  since she was 5 months old at least 3 times a week. 2 months ago I got a letter from speech therapy says we are on the waiting list and they will contact me back to let us know about the appointment. I'm a single mum. I have checked with private speech therapy but they are very costly. 

R
  • LondonSpeechTherapy
    edited January 2017
    Good evening - Have you looking into charities such as Bopbran as they can fund private SLT?

BW 

Chris
  • Romaneeya29
    Hi Chris, I'm searching online for Bopbran but I can't find it. Could you please give me more details?
    thank you.
    R
  • LondonSpeechTherapy
    edited January 2017

Brightness