l'm an adult. I have autism, and sometimes have problems talking — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

l'm an adult. I have autism, and sometimes have problems talking

asdeds
asdeds Community member Posts: 4 Listener

Comments

• asdeds
    Hi Kim,
    lim actually an adult. I have autism, and sometimes have problems talking. Usually I can speak very well, but when I get very upset, tired or sad, I can't.

is there anything You would recommend I try out as AAC for these times?
  • Kim_AssistiveTech
    Kim_AssistiveTech Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
    Hi asdeds, 

There are a number of different options, do you own an iPad or tablet? If so then there are a wide variety of apps which could help you communicate as you wish to when you're feeling upset, tired or sad. 

Let me know if you do or don't have an iPad/Tablet and then we can go from there.

Looking forward to hearing from you and thank you for your question.
  • asdeds
    I do have an iPad, but the options I've seen are very expensive? Thank you for your help
  • Kim_AssistiveTech
    You're right they can be very expensive. The two that I use are Grid Player (£480 with desktop software) and Proloquo2Go (£200) so as you point out they're not cheap!

In terms of freeware though here's a few to look at. As with most freeware it's not perfect & can occasionally be more targeted towards children. 

Avaz (Free version, but you can buy a pro package for £150)
    Communicate Mate (Free)
    iSpeech (Free) 
    OneVoice Lite (Free)
    Pogo Boards AAC (Free)
    Say Hi AAC (Free)

I haven't used all of those so I would be interested to hear your thoughts. Let me know how you get on and if none of those suit what you're looking for then let me know because there's loads of other stuff out there.

Look forward to hearing how you get on. 
  • asdeds
    Thank you! Yeah Ive eyed up proloquo before, it looks fab, but the price is so prohibitive! Will have a good look at the ones you recommended and let you know how I get on.
  • Kim_AssistiveTech
    You're right they can be very expensive. The two that I use are Grid Player (£480 with desktop software) and Proloquo2Go (£200) so as you point out they're not cheap!

In terms of freeware though here's a few to look at. As with most freeware it's not perfect & can occasionally be more targeted towards children. 

Avaz (Free version, but you can buy a pro package for £150)
    Communicate Mate (Free)
    iSpeech (Free) 
    OneVoice Lite (Free)
    Pogo Boards AAC (Free)
    Say Hi AAC (Free)

I haven't used all of those so I would be interested to hear your thoughts. Let me know how you get on and if none of those suit what you're looking for then let me know because there's loads of other stuff out there.

Look forward to hearing how you get on. 
  • renacahill
    renacahill Community member Posts: 145 Courageous
    If you can get several people to club together you can buy proloquo2go and use it with a different set up for different users on different devices.  It's a one off payment via an iTunes account which could be one of the users.  

Sometimes they offer a discount but for a very limited period.  I bought it a couple of years ago discounted and it seems to be an unlimited lifetime with regular updates, which is a relief!  

Brightness