Feeling tired — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Feeling tired

Annabelandalex09
Annabelandalex09 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi there I have cerebral palsy.  And I'm 38 years old. Does anyone else feel tired half way through the day? 

Comments

• pink_princess
    pink_princess Community member Posts: 181 Pioneering
    Yes I do I hunk that's a normal thing with people who have CP
  • Vic
    Vic Community member Posts: 9 Listener

Hello Annabelandalex

Many people  with cerebral palsy use 3 to 5 times the amount of energy that non-disabled people use when they move and walk. which causes tiredness and fatigue. How does this affect your afternoons?

• Annabelandalex09
    I am very tired I struggle to move, talk and feel so tired I could sleep. 
  • Annabelandalex09
    It is so interesting to hear other experiences thank you 
  • Noah
    Noah Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
    Yes I can very much relate to feeling tried, half way through the day. As has already been mentioned people with CP often use 3 - 5 times energy than normal to do everything. You may find our discussion, where we are sharing things we have found helpful for managing our CP useful  https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/28690/things-that-you-have-found-helpful-for-managing-your-cp#latest
  • Stayce
    Stayce Community member, CP Network Posts: 843 Pioneering
    edited May 2016
    I agree with all these comments -I am tired/ exhausted most days. We use up more energy to do things, don't alway sleep as well as is ideal due to pain and discomfort and push ourselves more than most - in my experience. I would however encourage all that feel tired to get a blood test done to check for any deficiencies which could also be a factor. 

Best wishes
  • Vic
    Vic Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Also if you can space out physical activities such as cleaning, shopping etc over the week  to maintain energy for other things.
  • JadeB
    JadeB Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    I get very tired by late Afternoon. I find that having even a 20 minute power nap if I have the time always helps. I also eat a lot of high energy foods and carbs. And of course drink a lot of coffee (which I properly shouldn't lol) xx
  • Stayce
    To put this discussion into some context. I Slept 15 hours Friday night getting up at 2.45pm Saturday afternoon:-) Guess my body must have needed it :)

• Galadriel
    Galadriel Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for all that everyone. Does anyone know of a study that's been done on this and which my daughter can use as evidence to prove she gets fatigue as part of her CP. The problem is people think at 26 she ought to be able to do as much as anyone else because she looks normal! As parents we understand the issues but other people don't and because she looks normal, they make no allowances for her.
  • Stayce
    edited May 2016
    See my suggestion on your other post https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/29511/fatigue-mild-ataxic-cerebral-palsy.

An occupational therapist can also help identify reasonable adjustments at work that may help your daughter which she is entitled to. Many disabilities are "hidden, " and not obvious to all. I guess from my experience it's about educating people around you about what works and doesn't work for an individual Hope this helps Best wishes

Brightness