Funding for garden modifications — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Funding for garden modifications

Kattynel123
Kattynel123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all - I have been researching funding for a little boy who has Cerebral Palsy, who wishes to get outside in the garden a bit more in his walker... a fantastic opportunity for him to be a bit more active and gain some independence. I came across the Disabled Facilities Grant but understand this to be for modifications to the home, not the outdoor area. 
Does anybody have any advice on this? Your help would be much appreciated!  

Comments

• Seadog
    Seadog Community member Posts: 11 Listener

Access to outdoor space is so important for all children, and so frustrating when there are obstacles. The Disabled Facilities Grant may be able to provide funding to allow access into the garden (its worth asking), but it is highly unlikely that it will make any further modifications to the garden, which means that other sources of funding  need to be identified. Have you tried Turn2Us (https://www.turn2us.org.uk/) or Disability Grants (http://www.disability-grants.org/grants-for-children.html), both of which help to identify organisations it may be worth approaching? Sometimes there are locally based charities that can be helpful with this sort of request (eg Lions, Roundtable etc) - you could contact the Scope Helpline on 0808 3333 3333 or email helpline@scope.org.uk and ask to be put in touch with a Regional Scope Information & Advice Worker who may be able to provide information on local resources. Another possibility is that there may be a firm, local charity or organisation that may consider the possibility of taking it on as a community project.

Good luck, do hope you are successful.

• Kattynel123
    Kattynel123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks very much Seadog! I will look into these options. I have found a couple of options to look into also - so fingers crossed we get somewhere! Thanks again for taking the time to share your ideas with me - extremely helpful!  :)
  • Supportw
    Supportw Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi how did you get on with your funding research? I have a similar situation.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.