My question is what is the procedure for PIP? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My question is what is the procedure for PIP?

Comments

• marrium
    marrium Community member Posts: 30 Listener
    Hi Debbie, my direct payment is authorised and my social worker referred me to Penderels Trust earlier this month. A few weeks ago they came to meet me, they gave me a information pack and they also sorted out the carer for me. I have chosen a private carer and I have also sent there details, I was told to wait for a offer letter and a payment card. They offer letter and the payment card are both overdue from there 7-10 days offer, so I don't know what to do. Penderels Trust have already taken the carer details and I don't know how long it will take for the DBS, offer letter and payment card. i am stuck in my situation so i need advice on what to do next. Many thanks, Marrium
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    marrium said:
    Hi everyone. They recived the pip form 2 weeks ago. Does anyone know how long the procedure is for PIP. Many thanks, Marrium 
    Hi Marrium,

The whole PIP process can take a few weeks from start to decision. 2 weeks is quite early on in the process so give it a bit more time. You could be looking at around 16 weeks but this will vary from one area to another. Let us know how you get on :)

Debbie
  • Debbie_Alumni
    marrium said:
    Hi Debbie, my direct payment is authorised and my social worker referred me to Penderels Trust earlier this month. A few weeks ago they came to meet me, they gave me a information pack and they also sorted out the carer for me. I have chosen a private carer and I have also sent there details, I was told to wait for a offer letter and a payment card. They offer letter and the payment card are both overdue from there 7-10 days offer, so I don't know what to do. Penderels Trust have already taken the carer details and I don't know how long it will take for the DBS, offer letter and payment card. i am stuck in my situation so i need advice on what to do next. Many thanks, Marrium
    Have you heard anything more about your Carer since you posted this Marrium?
  • marrium
    Hi  :)
    My carers started 6 weeks ago, and they come everyday , it is all sorted. But, I applied for PIP for 10 weeks ago and I have not heard anything yet. if anyone knows how long it will take then please let me know. Many thanks Marrium.
  • nerdwillis
    nerdwillis Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi Marrium,

Unfortunately it is very area specific. It can take them 8-12 weeks to process the claim and give you an appointment for the face to face assessment. If you have access to your National Insurance number you could call the DWP on the helpline that Debbie posted above and ask them when you could expect an appointment.

After the appointment it can take them another 8-12 weeks to make the decision on your claim, using all the evidence that you submitted, and the face to face consultation to make the decision. The person you meet at the face to face consultation is NOT the one making a decision about your claim.

Best of luck and hang on in there! 
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Thanks @nerdwillis, you're right, it is very area specific and the times can vary from one place to another. 

@marrium When you applied for PIP did you provide a mobile telephone number? If you did you should be receiving text messages to inform you what stage you're at. I wonder if you have had any of these? In fact I'd be interested to hear if anyone has received text messages keeping them up to date with their claim.

I hope you hear soon but don't be surprised if you have to wait just a little bit longer.

I hope all is going well with your new care package :)

• marrium
    Hi Debbie,
    I have only received this message when I sent my application form, I have not received anything else. "Thanks for sending us your 'How your disability affects you' form. We may need you to attend a consultation with a health professional before we make our decision". We'll contact you again if we do. Could you please exsplain what they are saying. Many thanks, Marrium.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Hi Marrium,

The message you received was to acknowledge that they had received your 'how your disability affects you' form. The idea of these text message communications is to keep claimants up to date with the progress of their claims without the need for the claimant to make multiple phone calls to find out where they are in the process. 

So, it looks as though they have definitely received your form which is good. The healthcare professional will review the form and decide whether they have enough information or whether you will need to have a face to face assessment. If you're called for an assessment you'll be sent a letter confirming this with the date, time and location you are required to attend. If you can't attend the assessment centre you can request a home visit with medical evidence from your GP. It can take a while for this to happen though so don't be too surprised if you have a bit more waiting time before notification of whether you need an assessment or whether a decision can be made based on the paperwork. The waiting times can vary quite a lot from one area to another so don't be too concerned at this stage. 

As always keep in touch and do let me know if you have any further questions.

Debbie :)
  • marrium
    Hi Debbie,
    My social worker rang pip yesterday, I recived a call this morning from pip and they said that in a few weeks I will receive a appointment via a letter which will be coming soon. I don't know what will happen next because I am worried now. Help would be appreciated. Many thanks. 
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Hi Marrium,

From what you've said it sounds as though a face to face assessment will be needed to assess what level of PIP you're entitled to. You will be sent a letter informing you of the date, location and time of your assessment. Are you going to be able to travel to an assessment or did you write on your form that you would need a home visit?

Try not to worry (easier said than done I know), you'll know more once you get the appointment letter through. As soon as that comes through let me know and we can go from there.

Have a good day
    Debbie :)
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    hi Marrium, i had my face to face at home, on the 9th of june, then i had a letter at the end of August saying i got high rate for mobility and care, but payment wouldn,t start till  the end ofSeptember , luckly i was on DLA, so they pay you 1 month after you are granted PIP not from when you first apply, like DLA, hope this is of some help.
  • marrium
    Hi Debbie,
    today I recived a letter from Capita. They sent me a initial information pack. I am not sure on what will happen next. Do you know what stage I am on? I have spoken to my social worker and he said that if they send a letter for a appointment then we will send them a request for a home visit. I am worried. If anyone knows anything please let me know what will happen next. Many thanks Marrium.
  • marrium
    Thanks nanof6  :)
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Hi @marrium,

From what I've read, the next stage will be Capita sending you an appointment for an assessment at an assessment centre. If you're not able to attend the assessment centre, you can ask to have the assessment carried out at home but you will need evidence from your GP to support your need for a home visit. Some claimants have had difficulties getting home assessments so do let us know if you have difficulties with this.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes
    Debbie

• marrium
    Hi Debbie,
    I have recived my appointment letter from capita and they have said that they are coming for a home visit. I don't know what will happen  next. I am really scared and nervous. Many thanks Marrium.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Hi @Marrium,

Thanks for updating me. When are they coming to carry out the assessment?

I posted this link in another thread yesterday and it's a link to the PIP Assessment Guide for providers carrying out PIP assessments. You might find it helpful to have a read through as this will give you an idea of how the assessment should be conducted and what should be taken into consideration.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/547146/pip-assessment-guide.pdf 

Have a great weekend
    Debbie
  • marrium
    Hi Debbie,
    The link does not work. Please let me know if there are any other links available. Many Thanks Marrium.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Hi @marrium

Sorry the link I posted didn't work. Thanks to @BenefitsTrainingCo for popping in the one that works. I'll try to edit the post if I can work out how, so that I can get the correct link in.

Hope you found the guide helpful.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • marrium
    Hi Debbie, I have had a assessment from capita they came on a home visit. I just want to know how long it will take for the DWP to make my decision.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.