I have Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis - would I be able to get help with DLA/PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis - would I be able to get help with DLA/PIP?

Options
stephen
stephen Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Good afternoon my name  is Stephen and i have a question  and hope that you can  help me. My  Question is, I have Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis - would I be able to get help with DLA also known as PIP please 

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your question.

Firstly can I ask how old you are because DLA has ended for working age adults and has been replaced with Personal Independence Payment (PIP). In order to qualify you have to be aged 16-64.

PIP looks at how your disability affects you rather than the condition itself. Your entitlement to PIP is assessed on your ability to carry out the 12 activity descriptors. You score points for each activity descriptor.
    There are 10 activity descriptors for the Daily Living component of PIP and you need to score 8 points to qualify for the standard rate and 12 points for the enhanced rate.
    There are two activity descriptors for the Mobility component and again you need to score 8 points for the standard rate and 12 for the enhanced.

With each activity you have to be able to carry out the activity safely, reliably and in good time.

The Benefits and Work website has a really handy PIP self-assessment test and you can go through all of the descriptors and score yourself as you go along. This might give you an idea of whether you will qualify. http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php
    Also see our PIP pages too for some more PIP resources including all the details you need to make a claim. http://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/money/pip

If you have any further questions, let me know and I'm happy to talk them through with you.

Best wishes
    Debbie

• Abi
    Abi Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Hi Stephen,

My name is Abi and I have Cystic Fibrosis which has many similarities with pulmonary fibrosis. I have been in receipt of DLA (both mobility & carer's allowance for some time). I imagine I will have to change to PIP allowance soon but I have not yet been told that I have to switch.

All the best with your application,

Abi

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.