Autism Assistance Dogs — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Autism Assistance Dogs

heather_pyne
heather_pyne Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited August 2016 in Autism and neurodiversity
I run a dog training company that helps parents of autistic children train their dog to assist them by preventing running off, blocking and finding exits and helping distract when showing early signs of melt down and providing tactile stimulation and deep pressure therapy during melt down.

So far its going really well but im concerned about how i'd intervene if one melt down provoked another child to melt down (as we do group classes).

Do any of you have multiple children with autism who could advise? or ofcourse if any of you are in the midlands and would like some help please let me know :)

Comments

• kelly1334
    kelly1334 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I run a dog training company that helps parents of autistic children train their dog to assist them by preventing running off, blocking and finding exits and helping distract when showing early signs of melt down and providing tactile stimulation and deep pressure therapy during melt down.

So far its going really well but im concerned about how i'd intervene if one melt down provoked another child to melt down (as we do group classes).

Do any of you have multiple children with autism who could advise? or ofcourse if any of you are in the midlands and would like some help please let me know :)
    Hi
    How intesting! Um... maybe depending on a few things. All children are diffrent. Some kids dont like being in groups so you might want to watch that. Also the centre is a new place. If one child starts then it might upset another one who is noise sencitive. Personaly i wouldnt do the group classes unless the kids are ok with being at diffrent place, thats not on a routeine. If you really want to do this then dim the lights, and see if you can put soundproffing in the area. It might be best for the kids to meet thier dog first. And it will give you or the parants some time to explain what will happen.
  • kelly1334
    Also what is your charity called? I am highly intrested
  • heather_pyne
    heather_pyne Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Kelly, thanks for your suggestions. I wish I didn't do group classes trouble is I'm a company not a charity so I do charge the families (£8 per week) so I do small groups of max 4 children to try and keep costs low for the families while giving me enough to live off (I have a6month old baby, 2 dogs and another littlen on the way). But certainly I can dim the lights and try to keep volume low. The children already have the dogs when they come to class either as there pet dog already or I can help to find them a dog privately they can then keep and bring to training. My company is perfectpupsanddogs we are based in Nottingham. Thanks fo your advice
  • kelly1334
    Wow thanks so much.... been looking for someone to train our dog...

Brightness