My son has just been refused PIP and I need help and advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son has just been refused PIP and I need help and advice

Annemariedeirdre
Annemariedeirdre Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited October 2016 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My son has just been refused PIP and I need help and advise please

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @Annemariedeirdre

Sorry to hear that your son hasn't qualified for PIP.
    Could you tell me a bit more about why he hasn't qualified? i.e what points did he score or not score?

You have appeal rights starting with a mandatory reconsideration which will involve an internal review of the decision. You have to complete this stage of the appeals process before you can move on to have the appeal heard at tribunal. We have information and resources on our website which help outline what you need to do. http://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/money/pip 

It's worth getting some local advice on the matter too. A welfare benefits adviser can look at the decision with you, work out your chances of success and help support you through the process. You can get help from your local CAB and also check the services directory on our website for local information services. 
    https://www.scope.org.uk/Support/services-directory

Let me know if you have difficulties finding a local service and I can carry out a search for you to see what's available in your area.

Best wishes
    Debbie

• Annemariedeirdre
    Annemariedeirdre Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    hi Debbie 
    thank you for getting back to me. I have phoned pip this morning and they said I have to write a letter or have a phone call to go through it. people have said not to do the call as you can't get it across to them. so I said I will write to them. I work full time and it's difficult to take calls. Ihad help many years ago to fill out DLA  but don't know anyone now. 
    Anne-Marie 
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Hi @Annemariedeirdre,

I've only just seen this post but have been swamped, so I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner. How are things now, did you manage to get the mandatory reconsideration done and have they made a decision yet?

Sorry for the lateness and I hope everything is going ok. If you still need local help let me know which part of the country you live in and I'll have a search to see what's available.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • winterrose98
    winterrose98 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    My son was also refused PIP but has recently won his appeal.  The first thing to do is get help doing your mandatory reconsideration form. Do you have a carers service you can access as their help was invaluable. They put me in touch with a welfare rights officer who honestly was fantastic.Honestly three times I nearly never appealed and he encouraged me to be strong and go forward. He done all the hard work forms etc for everything , my mandatory reconsideration was refused so had to go to panel appeal which consisted of a doctor ,  judge a disabled person and for good measure the sent in a DWP representative. I can honestly say the panel were so good with son, they challenged the Medical given to my son as they lied throughout the evaluation and the DWP guy even agreed and said he wasn't happy with the medical report as it didn't correlate and ge woukd be bringing it up with his superiors. He won thank goodness. I wish you all the best, the appeal is  not as bad as you think it will be. Just remember people are getting paid bonuses for getting people off PIP and most are overturned at appeal stage, it is a long stressful time and in my opinion they are hoping its so stressful folk won't go to appeal stage  but keep fighting its just a ridiculous system which must be costing the state more in appeals than just giving genuine disabled people help.
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Hello @winterrose98

A huge thank you from me for sharing your success story with your son's PIP appeal. You're absolutely right about how much time it takes and how stressful it is. What stands out loud and clear is how worthwhile it is fighting. You've shared with us proof that the assessment and medical report weren't up to standard and this is something that is affecting a lot of people. By sharing your experience here, you're inspiring people to challenge their PIP decisions. I speak to more people than I'd like who don't want to appeal or haven't the strength to go through it any more. I honestly hope that anyone who is contemplating not appealing reads your post!

Many thanks and best wishes
    Debbie

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.