Can anyone help me with my eating disorder??? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can anyone help me with my eating disorder???

Options
galvin66
galvin66 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
hi, I have a spinal disability which I have had for 34 years....... Gosh this is really hard to word but basically I don't like food, especially when I have pain, food is the last thing I want.  I don't eat out in public and a full meal is a no go.  I thought I had control of my eating disorder but sine January, it has over taken my life.  My throat will swell up so I can't swallow!!!!! 

I am so scared, my husband is understanding but doesn't know how to help me. My daughter who is 20 now, visited for the last two weeks. She noticed I did not eat evening meals and I made an excuse up.

what do I do help?????

Comments

• howiemailer
    howiemailer Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hello Galvin66

Thanks so much for having the bravery to share this - it must have taken real courage.

What you are describing sounds really worrying and distressing, not just for you but for other members of your family. I notice that you 'made up an excuse' for your daughter when she was visiting you.  You say shes 20, so she's an adult now and may well be part of the solution.  It's great that you've shared your difficulties with your husband but you I wonder if it would help talking to your daughter; it's likely she's already really worried and uncertain about how to help you, so this could really her as well as make things easier for you.  There may be lots of reasons that explain your difficulties, so I would suggest that best staring point might well be to talk to your GP.  Eating problems are really important, can be tough to deal and often go for a long time.  However, things can get better and you can be helped to improve your life.  Asking for help is a great place to start!

All the best

Keith
  • Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @galvin66, sorry to hear of your troubles. If you feel that you need any advice or support from our advisors please do call our free helpline on 0808 800 3333.

Brightness