Hey I'm new and need help with money/benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hey I'm new and need help with money/benefits

katemose
katemose Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi I have been through the ringer this last year and my life seems to have fell rather quickly apart.
my main questions are: 1. Can anyone help me navigate the benefits system as I am unable to work and running every low on money right now. 2. Is it possible to right or of redirect a 24+ Advanced Learner Loan on medical grounds. 3. What is the best place for getting support for all this I need someone to actual sit down and help me with this not just give me a script answer over the phone.

Thanks
Kate (Ehlers Danlos Syndrome-3 & Fibromyalgia & yet undiagnosed heart issue)

Comments

• katemose
    katemose said:
    2. Is it possible to right or of redirect a 24+ Advanced Learner Loan on medical grounds.

I meant to say "is it possible to write off or redirect..."
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @katemose,

I would be happy to help you navigate through the benefits system, it's pretty complex and can take a bit of work to sort through it all.

With regards to writing off your 24+ Advanced Learner Loan, this could be possible. I did little reading on this and found that

Any outstanding balance will be written off/cancelled:

• 30 years after you become eligible to repay
    • if you become disabled and permanently unable to work
    • if you die
    More information on the Student Finance website 
    http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=93,7533256&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL 

There's a lot to look at here and go through. Drop me a line at the helpline and I can arrange a telephone appointment with you to talk through these issues if you like. helpline@scope.org.uk. Mark it for me and please put your username in so I can identify you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Debbie
  • katemose
    Hi @katemose,

I would be happy to help you navigate through the benefits system, it's pretty complex and can take a bit of work to sort through it all.

With regards to writing off your 24+ Advanced Learner Loan, this could be possible. I did little reading on this and found that

Any outstanding balance will be written off/cancelled:

• 30 years after you become eligible to repay
    • if you become disabled and permanently unable to work
    • if you die
    More information on the Student Finance website 
    http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=93,7533256&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL 

There's a lot to look at here and go through. Drop me a line at the helpline and I can arrange a telephone appointment with you to talk through these issues if you like. helpline@scope.org.uk. Mark it for me and please put your username in so I can identify you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Debbie
    Thank you Debbie this is a relief and so helpful. I will be sure to drop you an email. Im guna do some phoning around to the requured number but may need some help once i get past that ringing to start the ball rolling stage

Thank you x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.