Son had benefits cut by £100 when changed to PIP - is this normal? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Son had benefits cut by £100 when changed to PIP - is this normal?

Nfg30plus
Nfg30plus Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited September 2016 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi my disabled son who was born with Spina Bifita and    paralysed  from the waist down ...recently had his benefit money changed to PiP and they cut his money by £100 pounds is this normal

Comments

• moodyblue
    moodyblue Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Can,t comment on your situation but our council has putl out a document explaining there intention to implimemnt further cuts to our sons benifits.Itl seems the government are trying to push all vulnerable people like us into one catagory.We have a family carers group which has regular meetings to discuss all these things, see if you have a group in your area. Your not on your own.
    Moodyblue

• pixieice
    pixieice Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    This has happened to my partner, his was cut by £100. 
  • Nfg30plus
    Thank you it's good to know ...we are not on our own ....people should get together and make a stand against what they are doing .....people have fought over the years for these benefits ....now they are just being taken away
  • moodyblue
    moodyblue Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    A group of us who received this document from our council have managed to get the consultation time delayed to give us time to respond , the Parents and Carers group which holds meetings at County Hall also have it in hand ,I will mention your case to them and they may have information regarding appeal procedure. My wife and I have fought for everything our son gets and we are still fighting after 39 years..There are a lot of people with disabilities with families caring for their loved ones saving the government millions each year and Camerons conservative pledge on his manifesto was he would look after us. Perhaps we should place all our problems on the councils doorstep then they might understand just how much we save them.
    moodyblue
  • Nfg30plus
    Hi  moodyblue  I am in total agreement with you ...we do save the govement a lot of money by keeping our family members with disabilities at home ...I  have 4  with  disabilities 
    am only allowed I cares allowance 
    I think they should rethink the whole system and be a bit more fair to those people who care for their loved ones 
  • Nfg30plus
    ps Thank you for mentioning my case

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Dear Nfg30plus,

I'm a benefits adviser at the Benefits Training Company, working with Scope to answer questions like yours.

I think it could be worth looking into this further. It can happen that people are entitled to less DLA than they are PIP, but it's always worth checking that the award is correct. DLA for people under 16 works differently (if your son was previously getting DLA whilst under 16), and DLA is quite different to PIP anyway, so it can be hard to compare the two benefits.

As you know PIP has two components (daily living and mobility) paid at one of two rates (standard and enhanced). If your son has got the standard rate of either component and you think it should be the enhanced, or he has only got one of the components and you think he should have got both, you should ask for a mandatory reconsideration (MR) of the decision, and explain why. You should try to do this within one month of the decision.

The letter your son got about his PIP award should explain what to do if you think the decision is wrong.

To help you decide whether you want to do this, it's useful to look at the points system which PIP uses: you need 8 points for the standard rate, and 12 for the enhanced rate (that applies to both components). You can have a look at the points system here. If you think your son should have got more points, then it's worth explaining why in your mandatory reconsideration request, and giving as much evidence as you can.

If the MR isn't successful, you can appeal within one month of that decision. You can always ring the Scope helpline too for more information and support (0808 800 3333).

Hope this is helpful.

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

• Nfg30plus
    Thank you Will , it's been longer than a month since  his money changed.
    thank you for the info ...I  did not know about the points or how many he got ...he only just recently told me the money had been cut....Daniel was born with Spinabifita and is completely paralysed from the waist down ....he has been suffering from depperission for the past few years and doesn't realty have much contact with the outside world ....so when he went for the interview ...I was amazed at some of the answers he gave the young lady ...I think he was trying to impress her ....and also the way she word things made it diffcult to answer some of the questions correctly they had to be yes or no ....anyway the result was he had his money cut 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Hi Nfg30plus

I work with Will at the Benefits Training Co.

I think you should consider a late request for mandatory reconsideration on behalf of Daniel. It is possible to make late requests up to 12 months late, so 13 months from the date of the decision. Daniel will need to explain why he is making the request late but in my experience they are often accepted (especially when someone has a diagnosis of depression) and so it is well worth a go.

Daniel should also consider a new claim for PIP in case the late request for a mandatory reconsideration is refused. The new claim can always be withdrawn if it is not needed.

I understand why Daniel may have overplayed what he can do, this is not uncommon. The mandatory reconsideration request is an opportunity to address this and explain why the decision is wrong. An appeal tribunal should also consider this but it may help to get a statement from a professional who knows Daniel to confirm that this is something he is likely to do.

The mandatory reconsideration request is best done as a simple letter to the address at the top of the decision letter. As well as explaining why the request is late Daniel should explain which descriptors he thinks applies.

I suggest you do this and post again if the mandatory reconsideration outcome is negative and Daniel needs help with an appeal.

Good luck
    David

• Nfg30plus
    Thank you David it's very helpful .. I think he is worried about losing it altogether to honest ....and just grateful he got something....not sure what to do to be honest We are not good with forms and things my daughter helped with the  original form
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    I understand, it can be difficult. You might like to ring the Scope helpline (0808 800 3333) as they may be able to direct you to face to face services in your area. Best wishes, David.

• Nfg30plus

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.